Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a project tractor to play with. I have the opportunity to buy a 1966 Case 150 that is "for parts or major restore", or a 1966 190 "that is complete and just needs carb cleaned and a battery". The 150 is $100 and the 190 is $500, asking price of course. What do you gurus think would be a better project to learn on? Which one would be cooler to have? I have a 16HP propane engine, would you all come to my house with torches and pitchforks if I re-powered a 1966 150 with a propane Kohler?

Thanks for the help!

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
A 150 for $100.00 is a steal. A 190 for $500.00 is a stretch unless it is in amazing condition. Both would make nice show or parade tractors. Both are essentially identical in construction and therefore there isn't a decision about which one would be easier to restore due to being less complex. Apparently, the condition of the big wheel is better than the 150 so..... it would be less prep work to get the big wheel ready for paint than the Lo Pro. Both are very collectible. My advice would be to buy them both and show a matched set. All you would need is a 120 to go with them and you would have 1966 fully covered.

As for the propane 16 HP engine, you should know better than to even raise that question on this forum. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :sidelaugh:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The seller just told me the 150 is all stove up and has bent parts. Are the parts interchangeable? If I could negotiate a good enough deal on both would it benefit me to have the 150 for parts? If there are any good parts left. I think I need to jump in the car and drive down and check it out. More to follow...

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
One of the reasons we have a Technical Library chock full of parts manuals is so that members such as yourself can access them right here on this forum instead of going elsewhere and searching. Go to that section and open up the 150/190 parts manual. You will see first-hand just how many parts are shared between the two models.

And YES..... going to his place to see these tractors in the flesh is the best way to make this decision. Good Luck.... I hope that you buy both.

·
Registered
168 Posts
90% of the parts on these two models are interchangeable. IMHO, the 190 is the considerably more rare find. In your situation, I would definitely use the 150 as a parts tractor and restore the 190. I would agree that $500 is a bit much for a 195, but the 190's really are becoming very hard to find in any sort of usable condition.

Chris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.