Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone give me a hand, got an early 80s 444. It seems to idle poorly at high and low rpms, I’ve adjusted the screws about, like the manual states, but I’m not sure if it’s just time to clean up the carb or it’s something else. Kohler k321 engine walbro is what’s on the carb.
anything helps thanks , Austin

·
Administrator
3,513 Posts
Austin,
Try cleaning the carb thoroughly (I recommend an ultrasonic cleaner if you have one). Rebuild the carb with a carb kit (pretty inexpensive from one of our dealers). If after that and if everything is properly adjusted, it should run better. If not, there could be a bigger issue like the bushing on the throttle valve shaft could be worn.

One more thought. I purchased an aftermarket K series carb for my 222 and could never get the engine to run smoothly. I purchased a rebuilt original carb from one of our dealers and have not had a problem since. The lesson learned: you get what you pay for.

Good luck. Tim

·
Administrator
8,334 Posts
Austin
TSS as you covered, you have to remember these tractors are old and they have been used

"throttle valve shaft could be worn." I have had a few carb with this problem
I picked up some cheap carb copies from overseas I've had good luck with them so far
Found them on pay-bay

bigman :cool:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Appreciate the help Tim and bigman fortunately enough it was something simple, yet overlooked, like I always do. When I bought the case a couple of weeks ago, I was going over what was wrong and right and just things that will eventually need to be fixed. One of the things I noticed was on the choke cable, the outer cover was busted so it would freely slide back and fourth if I tried to use it. What I’ve been doing is just manually opening and closing it by hand. What I never noticed was with the trash cable still on there it was still providing the ever slightest bit of choke. So this afternoon I pulled the cable off the carb and manually closed it all the way as it should be.
I do plan on rebuilding the carb once the seasons over. I also plan on a full restoration, but, we’ll see what happens

1 - 4 of 4 Posts