Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner

RPM's of 220 and 226, 446 VS snowblowing

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  dkase 
#1 · (Edited)
So I looked up these engines and they all turn 3600 RPM's. Snow variables greatly effect the blowers ability to throw along with blower width. The blower width is determined by engine size. Travel speed is a variable also so lets select low and use 4" of fluffy snow as our constant. Lets put the forward lever at full and plow right into it. Shouldn't each tractor throw snow the same distance? What are your thoughts? This post is about distance of snow travel out of the shoot not it's abilities in difficult situations.

#2 ·
Yes all the blowers should throw the same distance at a given rpm. Blower width is determined by tractor width not hp. The 38” will blow snow faster then a 48” cause it’s blowing 10” less of snow per pass. Take my 226 and put a 38” blower on it and in most situations I can travel faster then when I have the 48” on it. I’d suggest swapping the 16 tooth gear for a 19 I think is the mod but it’s a gabble if the 10hp can handle the extra speed.

#5 · (Edited)
Interesting. After thinking about it, it makes sense that one would have to go slower with the 48" since the discharge paddle, paddle speed and chute are all the same. A 48" has no more capacity to throw snow but does have more capacity to gather snow, so one must go slower when throwing capacity is maxed out.

#3 ·
Based on your title and text, are you asking "shouldn't all tractors throw the same distance under the same conditions regardless of HP?" ?

If all the variables are the same, the answer is maybe. Why maybe? The engine rpm is rated at no-load. With a light snow the 10hp engine might turn the auger at the same speed as the 16hp, thus throw the same distance, BUT if it is heavy snow and you feed too fast the 10hp is likely to bog more and lose RPM vs the 16 hp. More RPM=faster auger = more distance.

#4 ·
If you swapped the same 'Caster to those different tractors in the same day in the same snow, they would throw snow equally. If you did this test with three different 'Casters on three different tractors, you may have different results depending on the condition of the 'Casters. Space between the auger and the housing, condition of the paddles, and condition of the paint on these parts will make a noticeable difference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.