Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like the idea of having a loader. Do I "need" one? probably not, but...

I do have a few questions:

644 vs 646/648 - Any thoughts on engine and size? Is the 644 under powered vs the others? I have a perception that the Kohlers are more reliable than the Onans. Is that true?

It looks like solution to run all my rear implements is to install a 3 pt hitch with a sleeve hitch adapter.

Is there anyway to remove the bucket to allow use of a snowcaster? (Yes, I could move snow with the bucket, but I expect the caster to be faster)

In an ideal world I would just add one along side of my 224, but that would cost too much as my wife would leave with 1/2 of everything... :)

·
'68 - Case 155, '73 - 646a
1,920 Posts
644 vs 646/648 - Any thoughts on engine and size? Is the 644 under powered vs the others? I have a perception that the Kohlers are more reliable than the Onans. Is that true?
The 644 is plenty of horse power, so long as your primary function is NOT to the a rear tiller all day long. The twin cylinder Onan CCKa in the 646 and the Onan B series in the 648 are smoother running than the single Kohler. Onan's are not difficult to service once you are used to them. The CCK was Onan's 'industrial' cast iron block engine.. Pressure lubricated and holds nearly a gallon of engine oil. The B series in 648 is aluminum block. Copy of the 644 - 646 sales brochure: 644 - 646 Sales Brochure. 1975?

The 648, is actually LESS powerful than a 646, other will argue with me, but the 648 has POWER STEERING so when you have a 1,000 pallet on the front end you can still steer.

It looks like solution to run all my rear implements is to install a 3 pt hitch with a sleeve hitch adapter.
Finding a 3 point for 600 series will not be easy. you are likely to need to buy an ingersoll HH-343 hitch with are nearly $1000

Is there anyway to remove the bucket to allow use of a snowcaster? (Yes, I could move snow with the bucket, but I expect the caster to be faster)
If I recall correctly the mule drive for a 600 is different than 400's so running a snow caster would be interesting..There is NO compatible version of a snowcaster listed by Case for the loaders. Also its not uncommon to find the belt clutch missing or non-operational on 6xx tractors since we are unlikely to run a mower, etc with a loader tractor.

One of the 'hens teeth' items for the loaders is a bucket extension that showed up on a few 648's. And it won't fit 644 - 646 because the bucket on 648 = 48" 644,646 = 44"

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 644 is plenty of horse power, so long as your primary function is NOT to the a rear tiller all day long. The twin cylinder Onan CCKa in the 646 and the Onan B series in the 648 are smoother running than the single Kohler. Onan's are not difficult to service once you are used to them. The CCK was Onan's 'industrial' cast iron block engine.. Pressure lubricated and holds nearly a gallon of engine oil. The B series in 648 is aluminum block. Copy of the 644 - 646 sales brochure: 644 - 646 Sales Brochure. 1975?

The 648, is actually LESS powerful than a 646, other will argue with me, but the 648 has POWER STEERING so when you have a 1,000 pallet on the front end you can still steer.

Finding a 3 point for 600 series will not be easy. you are likely to need to buy an ingersoll HH-343 hitch with are nearly $1000

If I recall correctly the mule drive for a 600 is different than 400's so running a snow caster would be interesting..There is NO compatible version of a snowcaster listed by Case for the loaders. Also its not uncommon to find the belt clutch missing or non-operational on 6xx tractors since we are unlikely to run a mower, etc with a loader tractor.

One of the 'hens teeth' items for the loaders is a bucket extension that showed up on a few 648's. And it won't fit 644 - 646 because the bucket on 648 = 48" 644,646 = 44"
Thanks. That reinforces my thought that the "smart" move is to own both. :) Sadly, not even I can justify buying a 6XX for use a time or two per year.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Thanks. That reinforces my thought that the "smart" move is to own both. :) Sadly, not even I can justify buying a 6XX for use a time or two per year.
No no… you can justify it.. I never had a loader before. Been at my house for 10+ years. After I got one I found a ton of uses for one.

so hear me out. You need to locate a 644 or something. And explain to your wife you are going to get it and all that stuff. And that you you care going to sell the other tractor once this one is proved reliable..
Then…… do a 10 year reliability test. Simple….

·
Registered
45 Posts
No no… you can justify it.. I never had a loader before. Been at my house for 10+ years. After I got one I found a ton of uses for one.

so hear me out. You need to locate a 644 or something. And explain to your wife you are going to get it and all that stuff. And that you you care going to sell the other tractor once this one is proved reliable..
Then…… do a 10 year reliability test. Simple….
That worked for me 😁😂🤣

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As it is I have a 1.3 acre lot in a suburban subdivision with paved driveway. I have a zero turn to mow and the 224 for snow blowing and other lawn chores. Loader would be nice at my niece/nephew's cottage for driveway maintenance and moving firewood. I would want to store it there and fear people would use it and screw it up.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
the property I live at is .5 acres. I have other properties also but the loader never leaves the yard.

i have
-448 with a loader. And I avoid using it for pointless tasks and is my baby.
-odessey with a snow blower/mower. This is my work horse most used tractor
  • 446 with a 3 point hitch. My favorite tractor. It’s just exactly what you expect a tractor like this to be.
  • zero turn for mowing.
my sons 222.
I could get rid of 1 sure. But I don’t want to.
I always wanted a loader and the 448/loader is perfect for me and my needs.

I would love to have a 600/6000/7000 series tractor for my house in Maine. And someday I probably will.

if you can afford to buy one I honestly don’t think you would regret it. And it’s not like resale on a 600 series is bad.

·
Registered
Case 648
9 Posts
the property I live at is .5 acres. I have other properties also but the loader never leaves the yard.

i have
-448 with a loader. And I avoid using it for pointless tasks and is my baby.
-odessey with a snow blower/mower. This is my work horse most used tractor
  • 446 with a 3 point hitch. My favorite tractor. It’s just exactly what you expect a tractor like this to be.
  • zero turn for mowing.
my sons 222.
I could get rid of 1 sure. But I don’t want to.
I always wanted a loader and the 448/loader is perfect for me and my needs.

I would love to have a 600/6000/7000 series tractor for my house in Maine. And someday I probably will.

if you can afford to buy one I honestly don’t think you would regret it. And it’s not like resale on a 600 series is bad.
There is a nice 6018 for sale in Maine right now on facebook marketplace. It posted this morning.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
There is a nice 6018 for sale in Maine right now on facebook marketplace. It posted this morning.
What terrible timing..
Got a big Disney trip in 3 weeks and have a few cost over runs on my apartment house.
such is life.Looks nice and price is spot on imo

·
Registered
32 Posts
You need this loader. Which loader you might ask, well the one you go look at and say "I need this loader". I've had my 646 for about two months now and I can't see myself ever getting rid of it. It opens up areas you haven't even thought of that needed the TLC only a CASE wheeled loader can provide. I'll put it to you like this, I was sitting in the backyard a week or so ago and the 646 was sitting there and I thought to myself that is the coolest thing I have ever owned. Currently I have the 646 covered with a tarp while I build a warm place for her to spend those cold Michigan nights. Then I throw the tarp back and the smell of 47 years worth of gas, oil, and grease greets me, I'm 10 years old handing my dad a wrench. That's why you need that loader.

Peace to you and yours
Caveboy

·
Administrator
1973 Case 444, 1974 Case 644, 1976 Case 446, 1977 Case 646
2,279 Posts
I've found it's better to have one and not need it then to not have one and need it. I like the 646 I own which I use mostly for rototilling and mowing with the rear hydro deck. I use my 644 more for the loader and backhoe. I just sold a Lincoln motor driven welder that I got running a few years ago. Got it at a decent price and flipped it after a few upgrades. I picked it with the 644 and dropped it into the buyers pickup. There are so many applications for these powerful machines. Once you own one you can't live without one, or two!

Keep the Peace
Harry

1 - 11 of 11 Posts