Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all from Maine. I didn't think I'd be so into owning a house, but now that I have my own 444, and I like it.

I grew up in Hampden and spent countless summer days mowing a couple acres in the back yard with my fathers mid 80's 224. I do recall the reliability of this machine and it never seemed to mind getting through the grass. During the winters, once I got old enough, I was taught how to blow snow. This was great, I have very fond memories of this and remember the power this tractor had.

Fast forward more than a decade, I lived in Colorado, skied much and learned some engineering, I moved back to Maine and got a great job as an Environmental Engineer, a desk job, and have nearly moved back to the west coast more than one time... Then I found my land in Brunswick and I'm happy doing the east coast thing for some more years.

I had a major dream last July that snow coming and I need a machine to deal with it. Knowing about uncle henrys, I found an early model (1971) 444 for sale in Bowdoinham. I am still in aw that I got the tractor with turf tires and chains, blower, mower, and blade for $250. Plus a spare motor, but all that is worth is the muffler.

So far I have put the following into it: ball joints, steering key, axle pin, rear main seal, spark plug, fuel pump, electric clutch (more on this), battery, belts, and couple cans of degreaser and WD40.

I thought the thing to have was an electric clutch, so I did went for it. This work okay for the first 3 large snow storms we had this past winter. Then the bushing I had machined got loose and whack, the clutch was broke, it worked, then it didn't, I threw it away last weekend. Then I used the tractor for what is just loves, twitch logs, and it is very good at it. I've been cutting pines and hewing for later use. I just couldn't bare burning them and couldn't get a sawyer out this spring so now I have some larger materials drying for some project down the line. Probably a log pole barn for my tractor.

I found a vintage shim adjust clutch on ebay and recently I have been collecting all the parts I need for a complete rebuild. I look forward to getting this working because my grass is growing!

Some future projects that I will be completing to get this machine working to it's potential for the next few years (though I hope for a decade or more) are replace the radiator, ignition switch, axle seals, and rebuild each of the implements. So I have some work ahead of me, but I just am still thrilled to have my own CASE tractor.

·
Administrator
8,013 Posts
Skiveller: Welcome to the site, we're glad you joined! :usa: :usa: :usa: Please feel at home here, we have a lot of friendly and knowledgeable members on the site. Be sure to take a look around, we have a comprehensive Technical Library, many sub-forums and a FAQ section that will help you get acquainted with the many features on the site. I have a 1983 224 which is on mower duty, love that tractor. Nice deal on that 444, love to see some pics. Look forward to talking on the site.
:222: :446: Best Regards, Rich

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So the clutch I bought was definately vintage... different shaft diameter in the location of the inner and outer cams. This caused a couple of problems with the parts supplier and also meant that I bought too many small diameter bearings, wavy washer and spacers. So, I did get the parts figured out and finally baked the friction disk on. This weekend I was able to get the engage rod and knob on and the clutch hub on the motor. I didn't have a retaining clip though... So all I could do was look at the set up. I already like it better than the electric clutch this kohler shredded a couple months ago.

This evening I was able to get the right size clip and got home with enough time to adjust the clutch. It took to tries to get the cams right, I still can not see the difference of the short and long sides? Doesn't matter, I stacked in shims until it engage solidly. The rod feels really good and smooth right now. I actually recall that there were times the old 224 lever that would give some real resistance. Now I just need to try it out. I am very excited to get out an mow the field that I have started growing around here.

I have the seals and parts for the rearend of the tractor now. I try and find a weekend better now and snow to do that work. In the meantime, I want to get the mower deck on so the woman can use this. As with all these creature types, she has been suspicious of this project, but I have a feeling that once this mower is going she will at least have her brow raised.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.