Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I read somewhere about someone making a separate control lever to run the rear 3pt cylinder independently of the muledrive lift cylinder.

Could someone point me in the direction of this info or share what you know about this? I think it would be nice to be able to run them independently.

Also, what year did case lengthen the 400 frames and by how much?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
I believe you are speaking of adding a selector valve, you retain the OE single control handle but can switch the added valve to select between the mid and rear cylinders. Has been done by many users

I "think" the W.B increase was 2" in `79
Others know better than I

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
99's got you covered on the selector valve :thumbsup:

I believe that 79 was the last year of the SWB.

It's 2 inches, SWB is 13 inches and the LWB is 15 inches between tower and seat. :thumbsup:
I changed my mind on the year
79 was the first LWB :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh:

·
Registered
877 Posts
There's a guy on the C-I-T forum that added a second TCV to his tractor. The whole tractor is highly modified and has been lengthened 7" for his modifications. A power beyond port on the tcv like the 600 series have would be sweet. I don't know if the 600 series valve would work on 200/400 series without a lot of other modifications.

·
Registered
318 Posts
you are all correct on the selector valve, but another option could be another TCV without holdvalve.

this allows PTO and lift circuit for your 3 point.
keeping all relief pressures the same.

edit, Billy seems to have beat me to the post :thumbsup:

·
Administrator
8,002 Posts
Half Cab: It's a really nice feature having the selector valve. Here is a picture of mine on my 1986 446:

This is mounted under the foot rest by PO. I believe CCI member Mark Gru mounted his just below the front of the seat on his 4000 series which may be a better location.
:222: :446: Best Regards, Rich

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
InTroubleAlltheTime said:
Half Cab: It's a really nice feature having the selector valve. Here is a picture of mine on my 1986 446:

This is mounted under the foot rest by PO. I believe CCI member Mark Gru mounted his just below the front of the seat on his 4000 series which may be a better location.
:headscratcher: :headscratcher: :headscratcher: Is that overspray Rich :headscratcher:
:sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh:

·
Administrator
8,002 Posts
Stewart said:

:headscratcher: :headscratcher: :headscratcher: Is that overspray Rich :headscratcher:
:sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh:
:sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh:
:chopwood: :chopwood: :chopwood: :facepalm: :drinkbuddies: Stewart: It must be due to some fine German beverages that night!
:canada: :canada: :canada: Please don't tell Tom :eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Seriously, It's that easy? This makes what I'm striving for a whole like easier than I was expecting. Of course, I'm going to have to find a different mounting location than under the foot rest, my aging 6'2" body doesn't flex down that far as easy as it use to 20+ years ago.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
HC,
All you need is one of these. http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?i ... 3&catname= plus some new 1/4" hydraulic hoses to connect it. Where you locate it is up to you.

Plumbing it is simple.

Locate the hoses that come from the bottom of both cylinders and remove them from the T-fitting on the Lift Valve. Then remove the T-fitting.

Run a new line from the Lift Valve port to the IN port on the selector valve.

Two more new lines are needed to run from the bottom of each cylinder to the two OUT ports on the selector valve.

That's it.

As for the discussion about the year of change to the longer wheelbase, that is arguable on the basis that Case starts building "next year's tractors" in the latter part of the previous year. As far as I'm concerned, the long wheelbase tractors happened in the 1980 model year. That's the year that Case introduced the 448 and also introduced the 60 inch deck which was the reason for changing the wheelbase from 46" to 48". Others can argue differently if they wish. :lol:

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
:headscratcher: :headscratcher:

Well Lady this is one of those Great times that we agree that both of us know better than that Tom Arnold guy :thumbsup:

I've read lots in the past two years and was sure that the introduction of the 448 and the LWB in 1980. :thumbsup: Of course when me :drinkbuddies: 99 figured 79 then I checked the FAQ'S section and sure as shit old Tom claims 79 and in Respect to the older guys I edited my post :headscratcher: I bet he miss led me :drinkbuddies: 99 too :thumbsup:

Now I can have a good nights sleep knowing that at least the two of us know the Truth :trink: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh:

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Stewart said:
:headscratcher: :headscratcher:

Well Lady this is one of those Great times that we agree that both of us know better than that Tom Arnold guy :thumbsup:

I've read lots in the past two years and was sure that the introduction of the 448 and the LWB in 1980. :thumbsup: Of course when me :drinkbuddies: 99 figured 79 then I checked the FAQ'S section and sure as shit old Tom claims 79 and in Respect to the older guys I edited my post :headscratcher: I bet he miss led me :drinkbuddies: 99 too :thumbsup:

Now I can have a good nights sleep knowing that at least the two of us know the Truth :trink: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh:
The TRUTH is often an elusive thing when it comes to Colt, Case and Ingersoll tractor history. The longer I am exposed to it, the more I realize that fact. Here we are.....thirty-years after the fact......trying to sort out exactly when the wheelbase change took place. If you consult the Model/Year/PIN Chart that everyone relies upon, you will see that the 1980 was the first year for the 448. As far as I know, there is no such thing as a short-wheelbase 448. Logic would dictate that Case made the frame-lengthening decision for the 1980 model year and applied that decision to the frames they were building for the 444. The frame for the 446 should be the same as the one for the 448. The basis for this argument between 1979 and 1980 revolves around the fact that actual tractor production for the 1980 models began in the fourth quarter of 1979. On top of that, we know that the Chart is not perfect and we also know that Colt, Case and Ingersoll made changes to the tractors whenever they felt like it and did not hold off on those changes until January first of any given year.

This is why some 1976 446's have the exterior pancake mufflers but most have the single muffler under the hood. Some 1977 tractors have the small steel tank under the battery but later ones used the plastic tank. I could cite many other instances where changes were made in mid-production of a given year. Whatever was written in the FAQ's was done on the basis of my knowledge at the time of writing the piece but those words are subject to revision as new information comes to light. :sidelaugh:

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Billygoat said:
99flhr said:
Billygoat said:
The tractor has been lengthened 7"
One wonders if the turning radius now approaches the width of Nebraska ? :wave:
He has individual disk brakes on the back. As I said "highly modified" tractor.
The tractor you are referring to is the 449 built by our member Grummy several years ago, I believe. :thumbsup: He has it posted on the web. Perhaps he'll provide the link to it if he happens to read this thread.

·
Administrator
8,002 Posts
Edit: Tom has you all set :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Half Cab: I didn't put this one in myself, but I really don't think it's a big deal. At this location it is switched by the side of the right foot. I am just not crazy about hanging stuff under the bottom of the tractor, but I have to say it is convenient to switch the valve. I hope Mark Gru sees this thread and provides some input on his which is probably in a better location.These valves are common and I believe under $100. I would say you need a recommendation from one of the hydraulic gurus based on the exact model/SN of your tractor, for the right GPM rating valve, most importantly to make sure it will be safe for the system. You would need to map out how to separate the two hydraulic circuits. I can take more pictures under mine and give you an idea of how it was done. What I do for hydraulic work is go to my local hydraulic shop with in this case would be the valve and pertinent lines and a drawing in hand and have them set me up with the right fitting and hoses. Probably a good opportunity to clean up and replace some leaking lines/fittings, if any. Works good for me.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Billygoat said:
No, the tractor I'm refering to was built by BBPitts.
I thought that was Bill's tractor you were referring too :thumbsup: :trink: Not a hard one to miss :trink:

I think that Grummy's 226 had 2" added but not his 449 :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.