Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 646 came without any weight (aka pretty much worthless) so I loaded the tires with windshield washer fluid (huge difference right there) and made the following.

My camera was acting strangely so I lost the construction pics.... here is a pic of the finished product:

Basically I took the stock hitch off and cut it in half roughly at the bend. Then I took a "step bumper class three receiver" available from harbor freight ( http://www.harborfreight.com/5000-lb-ca ... 67158.html ) and welded it in the middle. That made a great platform to hold 5 -4x8x16 (7.5 x 3.5 x 15.5 I think) blocks vertically... plus I now have a class 3 hitch above the stock case hitch.

I didn't weigh the blocks but the feel about 30 pounds each for a total of about 150 pounds of additional weight.

After that the only other thing I had to do is add a piece of angle iron to the back with a band of 1/8 inch x 1 strapping to stop the blocks from flopping around.

The platform/hitch is heavy enough to do anything I plan on doing with it and it can support my weight (250 pounds) in addition to the cement. Still you should think twice before adding something with a huge tongue weight. If I were to do this again I would consider adding some bracing.

Note the 646 hitch is slightly heavier metal than the 446 hitch.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
If you used 100 percent solid concrete blocks, then they weigh 35 lbs each. If they are 3 void hollow core blocks, the weight is 25 lbs each. So, you have 125 to 175 lbs on the back.

Your loader has the wrong rims and tires on it. Those are 16" turf tires/rims from a 400 series. You should have 8:00 x 15" Ag tires.

Thanks for sharing what you did. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: and welcome to the group.

Tom

·
Registered
261 Posts
Definitely welcome elvis. I run three pairs of wheel weights at about 200 lbs and can add six 42# suitcase weights on my 646 as needed. The manual recommends 500 lbs of counter weight to lift the max 600 lbs to full height.
Tom that does look like the tread pattern on the 8x16s but those fenders sure look right for the 646 and you'd never get 32" tires under them if they're stock.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The blocks are solid....35 pounds a piece I guess.

Yeah.... the prior owner was good to me when I bought my first case from him years ago... sold me a really nice 446 ready for use. He took advantage of me on this one (picked it up at 11pm, dimly lit, but I trusted him to have it all ready for use)... there were lot of little things I should have caught, the tires being two of them. The are off of a 446 i think.

It also has a replacement NHC onan motor out of a generator he was upfront about that.... he didn't tell me that the lift cylinder and bracket was missing or that the clutch was missing. The biggest shock was to see that the frame was cracked and repaired... I have no idea what someone would have to do to break a frame on one of these bad boys. Minor oil leaks everywhere... He painted it but didn't clean it very well (perhaps to hide the frame issue) so it's only a matter of time before it needs redoing. I feel a little silly for buying it like this but I had been looking for a few years for a 600 series and I got excited. It will be really nice when I am finished with it.

Lovin this forum.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.