Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, now that I'm getting to the point I've started added attachements/function to my 444 I'd really like to know if a 3 PT is worth the 'extra effort' to build vs. just going with a sleeve hitch. I dont plan to till but a back blade, box scraper lawn crusher roller (whatever the thing is that you use to smooth out the dirt prior to planting grass), 4 wheeled cart, possibly log splitter (in the future). I'm currently of the mind that a 3 PT really is beyond the scope of what I'd need.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Based on the list of tasks you gave and even if you changed your mind and got a tiller later; a sleeve hitch would still be all you would need. Sleeve hitch attachments are relatively plentiful and usually less expensive than category-0 stuff.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
You don't need a 3 point to pull a roller or to rototill but when using a turning plow, box scraper or back blade, it can come in handy.

A three point gives you the ability to make cutting edges more aggressive or less aggressive, thanks to the adjustable top link. The adjustable side link allows you to tilt the attachment to one side and that fact makes the attachment for more versatile.

None of these adjustments are required for a rototiller or when pulling an attachment that is not mounted to the hitch.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Hydriv said:
You don't need a 3 point to pull a roller or to rototill but when using a turning plow, box scraper or back blade, it can come in handy.

A three point gives you the ability to make cutting edges more aggressive or less aggressive, thanks to the adjustable top link. The adjustable side link allows you to tilt the attachment to one side and that fact makes the attachment for more versatile.

None of these adjustments are required for a rototiller or when pulling an attachment that is not mounted to the hitch.
I'll second Tom's take on this, but with stronger emphasis: I wouldn't consider a sleeve hitch for blade work. The ability to change the angle of attack is almost mandatory to get satisfactory results with a box or scraper. The three point even makes a rototiller much more versatile. You can drop one side to aide in loosening dirt to ditch at an angle.

·
Registered
225 Posts
The back blade is the only attachment I have, or have used, that leaves me wanting for more adjustability. Other than that the sleeve hitch has been able to handle everything I asked it to do.

ByCo

·
Registered
352 Posts
For me, having a 3 point with the sleeve hitch adapter is the best of both worlds. You can use all of the sleeve hitch implements as well as cat 0 attachments and you get the adjustability to boot. This set up is obviously the most expensive, but if you plan to build these yourself that should offset some of the cost. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Ok so I took some pictures of the sleeve hitch i just got done making. I'll just point some things out beforehand,

1. Yes I know its the wrong color lol. It's rattle can hemi orange.

2. The hardest part of the build was making the bend in the arm on the passenger side where the lift arm attaches. Would of been easier with a heating source but a BFH gets the job done.

3. The side rails are made out of 2.5"x 3/16" angle and the flat pieces where the pin goes to attach an implement are made out of 1/4" plate with the holes being reinforced with black iron pipe.

4. The lift arm that attaches the front of the hitch to the tractor lift plate is 2.5" flat stock reinforced at all the bends with 1/4" plate.

5. The lift plate adapter thingy that connects the tracor to the front of the hitch lift arm is also made of 1/4" plate attached to the tractor with grade 8 bolts.

6. The brackets that connects the hitch to the transaxle are made of double walled 3/16" box. I think thats what id call it, its 3/16 with a second layer of 3/16" welded in for reinforcement

By chrisgriffin at 2012-02-01

·
Administrator
3,513 Posts
chrisgriffin said:
ok so now that you said something im gonna have to go fix that. FYI thats from the previous owner. Not quite sure why the tire isnt covered in it too.
It's a good thing that the tires don't have any overspray on them. I've seen what the "Tire Overspray Inquisition" does to those who defile the tires on their tractors and it isn't pretty! :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yeah the rest of the tractor looks good, not perfect. I plan on spraying everything this spring when it warms up. I guess I should feel good that the only thing tom mentioned was the overspray. Does that mean I did a good job? lol

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
chrisgriffin said:
Yeah the rest of the tractor looks good, not perfect. I plan on spraying everything this spring when it warms up. I guess I should feel good that the only thing tom mentioned was the overspray. Does that mean I did a good job? lol
What matters most when it comes to things such as home-made sleeve hitches is this. Does it work properly? That's the real criteria.... along with saving money. I won't criticize on how smooth someone's welds are because I am far from perfect myself. It takes a lot of time welding items until you get really good at it. Choice of materials is also a personal decision that can be shaped by what you happen to have laying around. A little thick or thinner, a little wider or narrower than what Case used is also not the end of the world. The Case engineers were being paid to come up with the most cost efficient design that would do the job without failing. Owners do not have such restrictions. If you are anything like me, you will stop your vehicle on the street....... back it up ...... and then load up the angle-iron bed frame that some homeowner put out on garbage day. You don't even have a use for that steel in mind at that moment. All you know is that the stuff is just too valuable to let the garbageman have it so you will bring it home and find a place to store it until you need it. Your friends and family think you are a weirdo. But that never stops them from coming to you to get this or that repaired. Sometimes..........that's when you get to use that piece of angle or flat bar or round rod or tubing you scrounged out of the garbage. At that point, you don't look so stupid and weird anymore. :lol: :lol:

If you can hang your tiller or back blade etc off of this sleeve hitch and it does not bend, break or twist for the whole season, then who am I to say your job isn't up to par? But if you are RESTORING a tractor back to original and you allow things like overspray to happen; that's when you can expect my comments to be brutal. :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.