Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi group,

I just finished installing some new drive bearings on my snow caster. Last year I installed new auger bearings, adjusted the auger and repainted it and it worked perfect, but the snow hit before I could finish the job so I am ahead of it this year.

Just thought I would share the process with the group in case there are others about to do the same job.

First I made sure I had the right parts and assembly diagram.

Next I backed out the set screw on the collars. The collars were rusted in place so it took a bit of work to loosen them so I could remove the shaft.

Then I removed the bearing keeper flanges. That was easy on the belt side but the sprocket side bolts were installed with the nut in towards the sprocket. I reversed them as you will see in the next photo.

Here you can see the sprocket side bearing installed with the bolts reversed. Not as pretty but much more servicable in my opinion.

I reinstalled the belt side bearing keeper flanges, bearing and then tighened up the collar.

Not too hard of a job even for a small time guy like me. The worst part was getting the shaft out. Because the collars were rusted in place I had to hammer a bit and remove the chain, which will get replaced this year to complete the job.

I finished up with a bit of touch up paint on the shaft where I scuffed it during removal and redressed it a little with the grinder.

GoldenCove is ready for another winter! (once the leave removal season is over!)

:letitsnow: :letitsnow: :letitsnow:

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
wurkenman said:
Nice work. It is surprising how well these things operate with a little work.
I've been banging that drum for years. :sidelaugh:

New owners have to realize that these tractors have already been subjected to 20 to 40 years of wear, tear, neglect, abuse and either bad maintenance or no maintenance. You cannot expect them to perform properly unless you take the time and spend a bit of money to rectify all of those issues. But once you do that, the end result is amazing.

·
Registered
894 Posts
GoldenCove said:
Hi group,

I just finished installing some new drive bearings on my snow caster. Last year I installed new auger bearings, adjusted the auger and repainted it and it worked perfect, but the snow hit before I could finish the job so I am ahead of it this year.

Just thought I would share the process with the group in case there are others about to do the same job.

First I made sure I had the right parts and assembly diagram.

Next I backed out the set screw on the collars. The collars were rusted in place so it took a bit of work to loosen them so I could remove the shaft.

Then I removed the bearing keeper flanges. That was easy on the belt side but the sprocket side bolts were installed with the nut in towards the sprocket. I reversed them as you will see in the next photo.

Here you can see the sprocket side bearing installed with the bolts reversed. Not as pretty but much more servicable in my opinion.

I reinstalled the belt side bearing keeper flanges, bearing and then tighened up the collar.

Not too hard of a job even for a small time guy like me. The worst part was getting the shaft out. Because the collars were rusted in place I had to hammer a bit and remove the chain, which will get replaced this year to complete the job.

I finished up with a bit of touch up paint on the shaft where I scuffed it during removal and redressed it a little with the grinder.

GoldenCove is ready for another winter! (once the leave removal season is over!)

:letitsnow: :letitsnow: :letitsnow:
Did you get the bearings at an Ingersoll case dealer or a bearing distributor? I have to quite my snowcaster down and the Auger bearings are on the list.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.