Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fixed it. Case 224 was no good in the last storm. Alright for light stuff, but the heavy stuff the thrower and engine revs would drop way down to the point of quiting and throwing distance was about 3 feet. Drive pulley on the caster was 5”. Suppose to be 6.5”. So I went to 7”. Works good now. The bank I went there was from the last weeks storm. Melted froze and some snow shoveled from deck on top. Didn’t have any trouble going thru. Video on real garden tractors, if interested.
Safety warning, don’t know if this has ever happened to any of you, when using the caster today a rock, rock picked up by the auger got over to the chain, the chain then threw it out and it hit the side of my knee. Should have a cover over the chain at the back.

Noel

Attachments

·
Administrator
4,244 Posts
Put a cover on the chain at the FRONT. I don't know why the chain has to run exposed, through snow all the time, it sure doesn't help keep lube on the chain, never mind catching sticks and rocks. No real blowers nowadays allow this. All have a substantial guard that covers the chain from the back of the blower and around the sprocket, leaving only part of the bottom open to allow water and the bit of snow that gets in around the auger shaft to drain out.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Put a cover on the chain at the FRONT. I don't know why the chain has to run exposed, through snow all the time, it sure doesn't help keep lube on the chain, never mind catching sticks and rocks. No real blowers nowadays allow this. All have a substantial guard that covers the chain from the back of the blower and around the sprocket, leaving only part of the bottom open to allow water and the bit of snow that gets in around the auger shaft to drain out.
I guess one could fabricate a cover, but it would have to be removable for chain replacement. You would also want to leave access for ease of oiling.

Some may not realize just how much a chain wears and as the pins wear the chain effectively becomes longer. I just replaced mine and the old one had grown by more than 1/4". That stretching not only induces slop, but will wear the gears due to spacing of the rollers being slightly off.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts