Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the 446 ready for snow. Just need to change the engine oil and hydraulic oil. Recommendations for hydraulic oil weight in the winter?
Appreciate it.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I would think Rotella or any good diesel oil in 15W-40 weight would work well in the area for you. Based on your info above I am guessing East of Columbus, Ohio? I live in Southern Michigan and I use 15-40 in my machines year round. If it is real cold I either never leave the house, or leave the house long enough to start the bullet heater blowing toward the tractor. That oil would be used in both engine and hydraulic system. What are you dumping from engine and hydraulic systems?

Bill

·
Premium Member
2,959 Posts
I am west of Minneapolis MN, And use 10-30 in the engine in the winter, and 15-40 in the hydraulic year round. When its really cold out, just remember to set the engine just above idle and shift the rear end to neutral, then ezz the travel lever to either full reverse or full forward and let it idle for 10 or so to warm up the hydraulic oil.

Cheers,
Gordy

·
Premium Member
2,959 Posts
About the same here Gordy, mine is a 14 Kohler and there is room for block heater on mine, so put that on for a while before starting................Curt
Should have mentioned the engine gets synthetic oil, so it spins better when real cold. The main issue behind the warm up mentioned is for the hydraulic oil. I have heard of burst oil coolers and popped off low pressure return lines from just cold a start and go. The popped off hose happened me with the 448, the Onan had been swapped out for a Linmar and to make that fit the steel return tube had to have the last bend cut off. When they did that they left the tube flat, without the bead on the end of the tube the double hose clamps they used had little holding power with the cold thick oil.

Cheers,
Gordy

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all of the replies. I had heard of the hose issues and I had leaks from a 448 that I pushed snow with. Didn’t leak anything in the summer. I am pretty sure my dad never changed the oil in this tractor prior to snow season. When I used this tractor as a youngster, it was the later 70’s. We had some extreme cold, wind and snow then. Synthetic in the engine is a great idea.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I use 10w-30 year round in all my tractors. Being new to Case tractors and their hydraulic drive systems, 15w-40 is the oil to use in the drive system, from what I’ve learned. And that’s what I would use year round.

Noel

1 - 7 of 7 Posts