Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got to try out my snowcaster today...although I had to search for a slight drift as we got next to nuthin' from the 8-16" predicted!
and...

I cant help but think the chute is poorly designed. I seems to this layman that it is too wide...and probably to short as well. I can understand the shortness as we still need to open hoods...but the width I simply dont understand. The snow doesnt seem to be pumped in a specific direction and seems more like the caster is "puking" the snow out! It's so wide You can practically use the chute for a run for the Jamaican Bobsled team!!!
The last 2 yrs I was running a 42" JD blower on my GT275 and that sucker THREW some snow for a single stage! The chute was much narrower and longer making the "path" that the snow traveled through before exiting the thrower more defined, resulting in a much more NARROW and directed snow stream, and as a result it threw farther as well. THe Snowcaster is the exact opposite.

I must say though that when I really loaded up the snowcaster it threw WAY BETTER than the 49 I had on my 316...that's FOR SURE!

Here's what kinda gets me though: Over the years I would have thought there would have been SOME evolution to the chute portion of the caster. Maybe not a complete redesign of the entire attachment, but at least the chute which if ya look at it appears to be designed in the FREAKIN' 1950's!!!
In contrast If you look at JD design over the years from the early throwers used on the 110's & 140's etc up to the latest single stage throwers they (JD) made TONS of improvements, not only to the housing and auger area but to the chute itself.

I know Case/Ingersoll goes with what works...LOL...BUT...well, I guess it works.

I remember years ago the 1st time I set eyes on a Case Snowcaster I thought, "Wow, the chute looks so old-fashioned."

Anyway, do you agree, disagree, not care...

It would be interesting to put a more focused JD chute on one of these to see what it would do!
hmmmmmmmmm.... that gives me an IDEA!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I came across this:

Looks like he modifies the chute EXACTLY the way I was describing it needed!

or...maybe I'm seeing things?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AHA!
I was seardhing his videos and he has another snowcaster vid and someone else noticed the chute as well.

Here is his response:

Its a Case blower, but doing a lot of city work where you need to specifically drop snow on top of banks, the factory chute never satisfied me. I bought a taller chute off of ebay and welded it to the original? toothed ring. Because the factory opening is so wide, I had to add to the sides of the new chute after stretching it open otherwise when turned, I still had a lot of snow flying forward. This chute was from a JD, but there are many that would work just fine. I love it now.

Hmmm.. Interesting.

Can someone please chime in? I'm having this conversation by MYSELF and starting to think I am nuts! :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh:

·
Registered
894 Posts
It is probally because you did not have much snow. I noticed with my snowcaster that it throws the snow much better when you are going through a lot of snow and keep the caster loaded with snow. See these two videos of my snowcaster. The noise of the caster in the 2nd video is something that just started in that storm.
Mark

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Dude..............

The owner of that video is none other than our own Grummy, a keystone member that was invited by me to join here last December. If you want more information, then send him an e-mail. He can be an ornery, old cuss at times but I think that his recent marriage may have mellowed him out a bit. :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh:

Did you notice his cab? That is a work of art but don't tell him I said so. His head will hardly fit through a doorway as it is. :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
287 Posts
I totally agree with the comments of the chute design, ITS TOO OLD.
I myself have watched grummy's and am planning on building one myself, so it throws the snow better.
These do need to be updated.

Thank you

Bret

·
Registered
717 Posts

This guy did a modification to his impeller blades at the center where it throws snow up and out. He used hard plastic to close the gap between the edge of the impeller and the impeller housing. I don't have a Case Snowcaster yet, but I do have three mid 90's Craftsman 2 stage blowers that I modified with rubber belting on the impeller blades. It probably doubled or tripled the throwing distance.
http://smllengns.tripod.com/ - This is how simple it is to improve throwing distance
Regards,
Nolan

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Changing your chute won't increase distance, it will give you finer control over where the snow lands -- but at the cost of reduced capacity. Assuming your auger is properly set and the inside of the chute is smooth, the only way to increase distance is to increase the auger speed. Doing that is a compromise unless you have more torque than you already need. If you can't get close enough with auger adjustments, a wiper can help, or tighten it up by building up the end with weld.
In deep snow and moving quickly, I am able to pretty much fill that chute. If it was narrower I'd have to slow down.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ya... good points. When I really filled the sucker up it was throwing well... but not throwing cleanly.
I guess its a trade-off. Sure, you'll be able to throw (slightly) less snow with a narrower chute, but the stream will be better controlled.
I will definitely end up modifying mine eventually....but I will probably wait for a 48" caster to operate on!

And HyDriv, ya...I have seen A LOT of Grummy's work on the net here and there. That cab is AWESOME!
I REALLY dig his foot control mod and chute mods too! The dude has it going on! hahahaha

I have not seen a post or peep from him (Grummy) in some time...does he still actively participate round these parts?

·
Registered
247 Posts
I would call it more of a "snow plopper" than anything else. Still does an awesome job of removing snow, just makes bigger piles in spots.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
creekhed1 said:
I have not seen a post or peep from him (Grummy) in some time...does he still actively participate round these parts?
Grummy was on this site last night. I guess your post just didn't inspire him to comment. :sidelaugh:

·
Registered
323 Posts
Hydriv said:
creekhed1 said:
Grummy was on this site last night. I guess your post just didn't inspire him to comment. :sidelaugh:
I had my head stuck in a doorway.... by the time I got unstuck, I was too tired !

I'm here... I pop in every day to see whats up. Just been a little busy in the homebrew cnc world. I figured I better buckle down and get my cnc plasma cutter done. I started it last winter and it ended up on the back burner. It's moving via the PC control now, and all I have left are some minor mechanical details. Sure will be nice when I can quickly cut accurate parts out for Case projects !

Regards the Chute, yes, it is awesome. LOL! I would argue that it DOES allow you to blow snow farther because as it is coming out, the "tube" of snow stays in a better group or "tunnel". All I did was find a newer chute, pry the lower edge open far enough to tack onto the Case rotation ring. Then I did have to tack on side extensions to keep snow from blowing forward when turned to the side. You do have to be careful when you position it.... otherwise it will hit the hood when the caster is up.

Sure wish I had some snow to blow though.... its like 50 degrees here in Wisconsin today.

·
Administrator
2,316 Posts
Nice job on the whole package!! I love the taller chute too and agree with the opinions of the crude, short look of the stock one. On my last 444, I ran an overspeed drive sprocket and Fafnir brgs on the auger . But, that crude chute was as full as you could get it. A solid column of hard snow expelled out and if you were to have stood in the way of it, probably get a concussion, lol.

Curious if you get any engine heat in the cab? Might copy your design...
Jeff

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Grummy, your mods have me JD Green with Envy! :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh:

My favorite by far is the foot control. Any detailed pics of the build? I have seen the webpage you made (p[retty sure that was you ;)), but the photos arent close enough to give me confidence that I could pull that one off!

·
Registered
358 Posts
mtbiker60 said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTATfBH0n4w

This guy did a modification to his impeller blades at the center where it throws snow up and out. He used hard plastic to close the gap between the edge of the impeller and the impeller housing. I don't have a Case Snowcaster yet, but I do have three mid 90's Craftsman 2 stage blowers that I modified with rubber belting on the impeller blades. It probably doubled or tripled the throwing distance.
http://smllengns.tripod.com/ - This is how simple it is to improve throwing distance
Regards,
Nolan
I added rubber belting to the impeller on my Case snowcaster, it really helps.

Lanny

1 - 17 of 17 Posts