Casecoltingersoll.com banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So being the middle of winter I was toying with the idea of a new chute for the caster. I rebuilt my sb48 and painted it. Decided I'm not done with it yet. I bought the chute from ebay for $30 to my door. So that's what I started with. Got crazy with it. Made some extensions on the sides. All electric. The few taller chutes I've found on the net that guys have put on, I've noticed a trend that the hood and chute have interference. So I made it removable. Made up a nice toggle latch system. A little sanding and epoxy primer will work for now. I've also made a front shield for the snow that spits out the front also and some new skids too. I think I'll be done for this year on the caster. Will have some wings made up for it for next year's snow.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
1,986 Posts
Nice fabrication Jancoe. I can tell you have spent some time on this project. :welding: I hope you follow up with some completion pics and maybe a video of your project in action. :clap: :cool:

Keep the Peace :trink:
Harry

·
Registered
437 Posts
Very professional looking!
To say the least, now will go and do some more mods to mine next season. Love the idea of quick take off.........Curt

·
Premium Member
2,608 Posts
Looks great :thumbup: That has been on my todo wish list even the addition to the front of the ring height :thumbup: I will be interested to see it working :smile: I am curious what model Honda did the chute come from? It look like you did not have to do much if many tweaking to get it to fit the ring.

:cheers:
Gordy

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. I got my first chance at the new chute today. WOW... What a difference. I had cleared 8-10" with a great amount of control. Threw plenty far enough and exactly where I wanted. We're talking 50'+ plus. Seriously. I definitely have alot of time into this thats for sure.. definitely worth it.. I cut in two extra slots in the rotator ring on each side and with the caster all the way up, I can just kiss the hood if the chute is rotated all the way to a side. The longer sides definitely help when the chute is rotated all the way to a side. It appears that the taller front lip at the base of the chute helps hold the snow in the chute to send it up instead of flinging out onto the top of the caster. Another thing....adding the front shield eliminates all of the snow spitting out the front. Amazing. It's pretty flush to the front. It does such a cleaner job. I did not have time to get a video in but will and get it on here. Here's a few more pics. These mods are a game changer and definitely wakes these up. I'm not saying I wasn't satisfied the way it was made but....Time for some paint. Hehe

·
Registered
5 Posts
amazing work! you know your way around a welder. just rebuilt mine too, this mod and an adjustable auger speed might be on my spring/summer project list. ty for the inspiration.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I like what you did there. I added rubber flaps to mine last year and lined the chute with thin plastic. Since those 2 mods on mine it is a totally different machine. What did you use for the motor to rotate the chute?

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Great looking mods to the snow caster. Love the looks of joystick control on the fender. I assume that is what controls all the mods to the caster? Can you give some specs on it and a rundown on how it works?

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey guys, I still haven't been able to get a video in on the performance of this thing. But as far as my joystick controller it's an arcade 8 way joystick from ebay. I am actually going to buy another one. This one was purchased a few years ago and I had only the rotator motor on it and all was well. Now that the 2nd motor for the top chute deflector is there the 8 way is a pain. I need a 4 way. Too hard to just go left or right without bumping it up or down. The linear actuator is Precision Positioning Devices LC 65 Model 118 Linear Actuator Thor RV P/N 0336395: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific. The rotator motor is MOTOR ACME SCREW 12VDC RH (1820131). that I picked up through work. Alot of similar ones for much much less.. The joysticks microswitches do not state the amperage on them so this was wired up with relays. I like using them anyway. Keeps the current off the microswitches. There is a large magnet from an old yellow snowplow light that's mounted to the bottom of the joybox with some sticky foam sheet so it dosent scratch the fender. Stays put too. A coupled sealed weatherproof connectors at the motors. Still have a little dress up to do and cover my butt connectors at the motors.. All the new parts are in primer till summer. If anyone is interested in me building a new chute that's removable or just a taller new chute, just drop me a pm. I have a second version that's removable I want to build which I think will be much easier and take less time to fabricate. I may build it just to sell.

·
Registered
130 Posts
On my Snowcaster, the chute rotater and control coil operate very roughly and have a tendency to ice up. Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
472 Posts
The coil and teeth mechanism of the original chute control often gets stuck on mine (all of the three units I had so far), it's a very rough implementation.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've noticed if I close the gap on the 3 mounting brackets, it reduces the jamming at the coil and slots. I remove the mounting brackets squeeze them to close the gap and reinstall. If its too tight I take a small screwdriver and pry them up just enough to reduce the drag. After that there is much improvement in the rotation.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here's a pic of one of my skids again. I modified them so I can add wings this summer to it. Had to cut a part out to get access to the mounting hole. I really like the longer skids. There is a little height difference where some concrete has lifted in my driveway and with the stock skids I'd catch it everytime. Not anymore.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts