Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner

Snowcaster question

4K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  Greg 
#1 ·
Hi,

I live near Portland, Maine and I have a 1979 Case 224 that I use primarily for cleaning snow from 4 driveways.

Tractor has 1400 hours and I have rebuilt the Kohler K321AD engine once. Set up for snow I use a 20-pound custom designed weight rack on the rear holding four 45-pound John Deere weights painted gray.

There is a video of my tractor with blower on YouTube at .

I have changed the front tires and am running CARLISLE Snow Hog tires for a better bite on the snow.

Looking for skid shoes and scraper blade for the L80-78 Sno-Caster.

#2 ·
Re: New member

randymaine said:
Hi,

I live near Portland, Maine and I have a 1979 Case 224 that I use primarily for cleaning snow from 4 driveways.

Tractor has 1400 hours and I have rebuilt the Kohler K321AD engine once. Set up for snow I use a 20-pound custom designed weight rack on the rear holding four 45-pound John Deere weights painted gray.

There is a video of my tractor with blower on YouTube at .

I have changed the front tires and am running CARLISLE Snow Hog tires for a better bite on the snow.

Looking for skid shoes and scraper blade for the L80-78 Sno-Caster.
Randy: Welcome to the site we're glad you joined! That's a sweet 224, ain't they the best! I have a 1983 224. I would check out the two dealers Brian or Tom that are members for those parts. Just go to Members up top and you will find them near the beginning of the list. Enjoy the site! :usa: :222: :446: Best Regards, Rich

#6 ·

Welcome Randy! I'm from W. Kennebunk :thumbsup: We've got Mainers here on every side of you.

For any parts you need, PM user bhildret, he's a dealer and he'll take good care of you.

I just (last week) put a pair of polymer shoes from Lowe's on my snowcaster, there's a pic of them installed in my snowcaster post in the renovations forum. So far I like them a lot, they glide across the asphalt and leave no marks. Also, if your shoes aren't too worn, you can weld on a piece of 1/8 flat stock (pretty cheap at home depot).
I did the same thing for the scraper bar on a 28" walk-behind with very good results, but that's a lot of bead for a snowcaster. Has your scraper bar already been reversed? Did you know it is reversible? Smart move by those Case guys, flip it over and you have a whole new edge.

#9 ·

Thanks to everyone that wrote welcoming me to the forum. For Case Junkie, yes, I learned about the reversible scraper a few years ago. I really like the Case tractor and implements and I thought the cost of parts was very reasonable until the new manufacturer took over production. The prices are probably still reasonable, it's just that I have been spoiled by how low the prices used to be.

#11 ·
Hi Randy
Another Mainer AWESOME... I am from the opposite end of the State (Fort Kent) where we have been dodging all the storms..
Nice tractor and our tractors came from the same dealer... Cool...
I bought my tractor in Monroe, the other side of Bangor and it is a 1979 446. I am completely restoring it...

Greg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.