Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have located an L84 snowcaster on a local classified ad website and have been communicating with the owner via email. Owner states the snowcaster has less than 50 hours use and hasn't been used for the last 8 years (he's been going to Florida for the winters). He is asking $600.00, which seems overpriced to me.

However, my real question concerns something I don't think looks right in the photos he sent me. The end of the drive shaft on the back of the unit seems to protrude a long way beyond the chain cover. I have never seen a snowcaster except in photos and in the manuals, but haven't seen anything that looks quite like this.
Any info would be appreciated.
The photos are in my personal album.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Administrator
2,873 Posts
You should ask the seller if the shaft was replaced for some reason. That's what it looks like to me.

Of more concern to me is why the mule drive assembly is detached from the snowcaster. Perhaps to make it easier to store - I dunno.
You also need to determine if the seller still has the bushings and bolts required to re-attach the mule assembly to the snowcaster.
If not, you will probably need to purchase new OEM bushings because they are quite unique.

EDIT: nevermind - I see the bolts/bushings now in picture #1 after zooming in...

I will let others comment on price.

John

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
You are quite correct to wonder about that shaft because it is definitely not supposed to protrude like it does in the photo. I don't consider it to be a big deal nor do I consider it to be a deal breaker. The shaft seems to have done some walking on its own and that would have to be corrected.

PRICE.

I normally value a used Letter Series 48 inch snocaster at around $350.00 on average. Obviously.... condition matters and it also affects the value. I can certainly understand the Seller's reasoning behind his high asking price. A brand new snow caster from an Ingersoll dealer will set you back close to two grand today so in his eyes, why would $600.00 for one that is almost brand new be an unreasonable figure to pay?

With such low hours on it, the cutting edge and ski's will be in excellent condition unless it was used on really rough concrete. The bearings will all be in good shape as will the chain. There are no flutes to straighten and the paint is barely worn. Rust doesn't appear to be an issue but I'd want to see more photos showing the inside of the chute and the rear of the housing.. Shipping costs must be factored in. This one is local. You can just go and see it in person and then bring it home. If you buy something off of e-bay, then it may cost $150.00 to get it into your garage and maybe it turn out to be not quite what you thought it was.

I don't mind paying top buck for top flight machinery. Time is money and it does take time to refurb a well-used blower. If you can afford his price, then go look at it. Offer him $450.00 in cash and show him the bills in your hand so that he knows you are serious. He will cry but even if you have to give him $500.00 for it, I think that you will have a unit that won't need to be touched for ten years providing you wash it clean at the end of each season, touch up all the worn off paint and oil the chain and cutting edge to keep the rust at bay.

Good luck and please let us know if it worked out for you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info, gentlemen. I think that even the $450-500 price range is going to be too much for my wallet right now. Haven't talked price yet, maybe he'll surprise me and be willing to come down a lot on the price.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Dropping from $600.00 to $400.00 would be a major concession on his part. If you truly want this blower, then you need to put some "investment" into it by going and seeing it first-hand. Nothing is more annoying to most Sellers than to have to negotiate a price over something the Buyer hasn't even seen, especially when the Buyer is within a reasonable driving distance. Meeting someone and talking about it one on one can often open up a door or it can slam one tight if it is handled the wrong way. Everyone understands the word "budget" and that's how you approach it. You don't go in and find fault with what he has for sale. We all know that he has an item in excellent condition. We all know what a new one costs. The question at hand is whether he can find someone to pay his asking price. Tell him that your budget is $400.00 max and that you are stretching yourself thin to hit that number. You like the blower and you want the blower but .........that's all you can afford. Give him your name and phone numbers on a card you already prepared and just tell him to call you if he wishes to let it go for that number.

You don't know what his plans are and you don't know how bad he needs cash. Maybe he is desperate for a quick sale and if he gets no response to his ad in the next two weeks, then he could end up grabbing the sure thing. It's only September. No one really wants to think much about winter until next month. At that time, he will have a better chance of selling it but the price he wants is still pretty high for most of the folks who own the old GT's. They just don't want to tie up big bucks in attachments with a limited and steadily shrinking marketplace.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.