Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder, with all the rain we're getting, how tall you'll let your grass get?

We have a small (1 acre) field that I've been mowing once or twice a year, planning an eventual small orchard. As of this morning, it was 8-12 inches tall, and wet. I figured I'd use the Hydracutter soon-

As of tonight, it is now mowed to "long lawn" by my wife, with the J44 deck-the heavy stuff mowed with the deck raised. I had just put in a new belt and freshly sharpened blades-I guess it worked OK.

She did hit a few small stumps in another part of the lawn, though.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I mowed yesterday afternoon. We had a small break in the rain, so I decided to get it over with. I cut with my 222 with a J-44 mower deck, new blades. The grass was about 5-6 inches tall, I had the deck height at 3 inches. I was surprised not to see any wet grass clumps at all. It did a great job. Have to do my Inlaws yard and field this Saturday, and I may do a video. Theirs is very long also.
Regards,
Nolan

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
My back lawn is so soft right now,that I can't even walk across it without sinking in.It is going to be a mess by the time I can get on it to mow as the the grass is already 6 to 8 inches long now.

[dropshadow=blue:14hxhsxt]Maynard[/dropshadow:14hxhsxt] :canada:

·
Administrator
8,002 Posts
I've sneaked in to as much as 8" with 224 and mower deck up but dry down in Va. The I'll come back for a finish run. My 446 here is in my shop awaiting new mule drive bracket. I had split and bent adjusting tension (couldn't get any tension as it bowed out more and more). So much rain here I weed wacked the small lot and then made a run with the push mower (brief sunshine for a few hours one day this week!). [wave=blue:rxu0l6ic]Monsoon season on Long Island![/wave:rxu0l6ic]
:222: :446: Best Regards, Rich

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
[quote="xfolkboat". As of this morning, it was 8-12 inches tall, and wet. I figured I'd use the Hydracutter soon-
.[/quote]

If I had a Hydracutter (which I don`t) I would have certainly used it.

When the going gets ugly I break out my B-Goat "Outback" brushcutter, much like it`s namesake, it eats anything. :lol:

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
I mow between my Christmas trees every other week and that grass gets TALL... I have mowed grass over 10" tall with my 4016 and 48" deck, just take it slow and it eats it up..... Typically I have to go ver it twice in places though (wheel tracks don't mow out too well

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used the Hydracutter on a field that I don't need to mow anymore, I'm wondering if I need it now-but I'd hate to sell it then realize I needed it, because I doubt I'd find another.

·
Registered
568 Posts
We'd need about 2 straight weeks of sunshine to dry up the back field...doubt that will happen. If you walk across it you sink to the ankles. I'm going to leave it alone for now, I could mow it but the ruts would be pretty bad. Later today I should be able to mow the front and side yards and hopefully about the first 100 feet of the back yard. Gotta love Ohio, we get all 4 seasons...Mud, Snow, Mud, and Detour. :thumbdown:

·
Administrator
3,283 Posts
Our Case/Ingersoll tractor are tough little buggers but they do have their limitations even with all systems at 100%!!!
I wouldn't sell a Hydracutter even though it isn't used often. They don't come up for sale too often and the condition is always questionable. If you have one then you know what condition it is in.
Mad Mackie in CT :mrgreen: :mowlawn:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.