Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally got my hyd motor taken out, and I was flushing the trans with diesel then I got my flash light to do a visual and found 3 washers laying in there. I believe they might be to the axle shaft , about 2" outside diameter, inside about 1&3/16" their pretty thin. The other washer has the same dimensions but is quite abit thicker and has a tab on it. I couldn't find any end play clearance for the axles in the service manual but the axles definately has some. I don't know if someone had the axles out and just left the old shims in there or what but the axles must have the clips on them still cause they won't come out. I'll get my magnet out tomorrow and do some poking around in there.

I have to have a new hyd made up and I was wondering about lift cyl hoses. Can they make you new lines using the old metal lines off the cyl or do you have to go with all hose?

Mark

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
It's conceivable that those shims were in there from day one. Mistakes on the factory floor do take place. Then again, it could be that someone took the trans-axle apart to replace the bolts and left them there. However, you say that there is no excessive side-play in either axle and that would make me lean toward the first scenario.

You might want to check with Brian on the price of new OEM hoses for the mid-lift cylinder prior to making a decision. You can go with "all hose" if you use some fittings to make the hoses run straight. Very few shops have the ability to salvage the metal ends on the OEM hoses. Make the price comparison.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hydriv said:
It's conceivable that those shims were in there from day one. Mistakes on the factory floor do take place. Then again, it could be that someone took the trans-axle apart to replace the bolts and left them there. However, you say that there is no excessive side-play in either axle and that would make me lean toward the first scenario.

You might want to check with Brian on the price of new OEM hoses for the mid-lift cylinder prior to making a decision. You can go with "all hose" if you use some fittings to make the hoses run straight. Very few shops have the ability to salvage the metal ends on the OEM hoses. Make the price comparison.
The axles do have end play Hydriv . The end play looks to be around 3/16" roughly, its hard to tell the seal is recessed. How much end play are the axles suppose to have?

Mark

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
oleblu72 said:
How much end play are the axles suppose to have?

Mark
I could answer your question but then I'd have to kill you. :sidelaugh: However, this blonde is a very nice person and willing to explain to you that we have a Tech Library on this site that has a full compliment of SERVICE MANUALS, including some for the TRANS-AXLE. The answer to your question is hiding there in plain sight. :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hydriv said:
oleblu72 said:
How much end play are the axles suppose to have?

Mark
I could answer your question but then I'd have to kill you. :sidelaugh: However, this blonde is a very nice person and willing to explain to you that we have a Tech Library on this site that has a full compliment of SERVICE MANUALS, including some for the TRANS-AXLE. The answer to your question is hiding there in plain sight. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'll look again Hydriv but I already went through the service manual ,but I have to admit sometimes I'll look right pass something.

Mark

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hydriv said:
http://www.manuals.casecoltingersoll.com/ServiceManuals/2%20Speed%20Transaxle%20Manual%209-99584.pdf

Page 6
Thanks Hydriv I went back and found it. It looks like the left axle is probably at its .030 max. I'll have to check the right side, just looking at it it looks like the axle might be sitting in farther I'll have to check it out.

Mark

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
If you are going to go to that much work, then it might be a good idea to put brand new seals everywhere, put new bolts and locknuts from CAT into the carrier and weld the two carrier halves together. Since you will have it all apart anyway, do it all and put it behind you.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hydriv said:
If you are going to go to that much work, then it might be a good idea to put brand new seals everywhere, put new bolts and locknuts from CAT into the carrier and weld the two carrier halves together. Since you will have it all apart anyway, do it all and put it behind you.
Well I would like to do a closer inspection anyway there was absolutely no oil in there and a little bit of water plus it looked kind of crappy in there.Maybe thats what they use for oil in Indiana.

Hey Hydriv you happen to know what size those bolts are off hand? I'm going right by the Cat dealer tomorrow heading to the hyd hose dealer. They said they think the can use the old metal hyd lines but they have to look at them first

Mark

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Mark,
Go to the FAQ's and read the document about Trans-axle woes. If I remember correctly, I listed the bolt sizes there. But if memory serves me right, the bolts are also listed in the parts manual for your tractor.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.