Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know off hand the correct size of spider for the pump couplings? I am looking at the McMaster Carr listings and their sizes don't seem to correlate exactly to the Lovejoy sizes. I believe the couplings are Lovejoy number L099 and the closest one listed at McMaster is size F. I'm wondering if the spiders are compatible?

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll give McMaster a call for cross reference to L099. There seems to be a large price difference between the Buna N and Hytrel and Urethane spiders. Anyone have any specific thoughts on the pros/cons?

OK, I just spoke with McMaster and they told me their size "F" crosses to the Lovejoy L099 so now it's a question of which material makes the most sense.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
This comes down to several factors. Torque ratings, operating temps, amount of misalignment all play a part.

I'm betting that Case went with the Buna N (Nitrile) material because that is pretty much the standard and the lifespan in this application is pretty good in my eyes.

Urethane will handle 50 percent more torque but it won't handle the temps that the Buna N will.

The Hytrel is fine for even higher temps than the Buna-N and you can run double the amount of torque through it that the Buna N will take but it does not handle misalignment near as well as the Buna-N because it is a harder than the Urethane which is already harder than the Buna N.

If I was buying, I would choose the Buna-N since it seems to have adequate characteristics and is good right up to 212 F.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's the info for anyone looking for a new spider from McMaster Carr:

Buna N 6408K77 $10
Hytrel 6408K96 $34.26
Urethane 2410K15 $21.54

I was thinking Hytrel until I saw the price differential so I think I'll get the cheapies and let the next owner upgrade.

McMaster seems to have the best prices on this kind of stuff.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
I would not choose either the Hytrel or the Urethane because I can't see a need. The Buna-N lasts for many, many years. There is no guarantee that either of the other types will outperform the Buna in this application.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Case used both L099 and L095. The diameter of the metal part is 2 1/2" on the L099 and 2 1/8" on the L095. I have seen L099s on Onan or Kohler but have only seen L095s on Kohler. Gregg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.