Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
8,002 Posts
BushBoneYard said:
I think this tractor would be real sharp restored. Looks like there would be a bit of body work involved. Appears that it spent some time being stored outside. PTO valve. Seems like the price is a wee bit high, but if you have a gun you want to trade...........
:222: :446: Best Regards, Rich

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi guys, I'm new here. I found this forum while trying to gather some info on my new toy. I brought the one posted home tonight. I did a little swapping to get it. I've got about $525 in it. Maybe a little too much but I liked it. It seems to run fine and everything works like it should. I'm new to Case. Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated. My first question: Is there any way to date an early model? My serial number (9631345) shows it to be pre-72 and the chart I saw doesn't have the early model serial number breakdowns. The PTO valve on the left side(I think that's what it is) has a date of 02-69 stamped on it.

It turns out that the seller is the same guy I bought a Kubota garden tractor from last year.

·
Registered
568 Posts
DKW45 said:
Hi guys, I'm new here. I found this forum while trying to gather some info on my new toy. I brought the one posted home tonight. I did a little swapping to get it. I've got about $525 in it. Maybe a little too much but I liked it. It seems to run fine and everything works like it should. I'm new to Case. Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated. My first question: Is there any way to date an early model? My serial number (9631345) shows it to be pre-72 and the chart I saw doesn't have the early model serial number breakdowns. The PTO valve on the left side(I think that's what it is) has a date of 02-69 stamped on it.

It turns out that the seller is the same guy I bought a Kubota garden tractor from last year.
Welcome, DKW
That is a 1969 model. That was the first year for the 200 and 400 series tractors and the last year for that style "Case" logo on the sides of the hood. In 1970 Case eliminated the "Performance King" logo on the back of the seat and went to the "tread" style logo. As far as tips and suggestions go, I would change all the fluids if you don't know when that was last done, just for cheap insurance. SAE 30 for the engine, 15W40 for the hydraulics and either 15W40 or 80W90 for the transaxle, either will work fine. Since this is your first Case, it would be a good idea to look through the tech library here on this site to familiarize yourself with these machines, and ask questions if you don't understand something. Good luck with your new tractor,
John

·
Registered
7 Posts
John, Thanks for the info. I plan on changing all of the fluids tomorrow and giving it a thorough once over. I'm 90% sure I've got everything I need out in the shop. I've started looking at the tech library(just now realized it's already after 1 am). I'm a little overwhelmed to say the least. Oh well, that's what makes it a fun hobby.

·
Registered
568 Posts
DKW45 said:
John, Thanks for the info. I plan on changing all of the fluids tomorrow and giving it a thorough once over. I'm 90% sure I've got everything I need out in the shop. I've started looking at the tech library(just now realized it's already after 1 am). I'm a little overwhelmed to say the least. Oh well, that's what makes it a fun hobby.
You're welcome. I forgot about you mentioning the PTO valve...Looks like an H17. The later tractors (I believe starting in 1971) used a valve mounted on the right fender. The nice thing about the valve you have is that it would make for a nice way to add power angle to a snow blade like a friend of mine did. Keeps the install neat.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Welcome to the forum, DKW. Are those your initials or do you own a DKW? :thumbsup:

Prior to doing anything on your tractor, I suggest that you spend some time in the FAQ's and do some reading. There is much to learn about your Case and you will find quite a few answers to questions you may have now and later, right there in the FAQ's.

That's a really nice 'bota you have. Those are great machines.

John, I have a 1972 444 that came from the dealer with that side-mounted PTO and I believe that was the final year for them on the Kohler powered tractors because 1973 saw the introduction of the rubber isolated engine. They could not use that style on the Onan powered 446 that was introduced in 1972 so that was also the first year that the PTO got mounted on the bracket behind the seat.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Welcome and congrats on your new tractor DKW. There's been quite a few new Case owners in Mo. lately. Do you ever get down to Haralds? I've never made it by there and I've wondered if he has any garden tractors or if it's just mowers.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Hydriv said:
John, I have a 1972 444 that came from the dealer with that side-mounted PTO and I believe that was the final year for them on the Kohler powered tractors because 1973 saw the introduction of the rubber isolated engine. They could not use that style on the Onan powered 446 that was introduced in 1972 so that was also the first year that the PTO got mounted on the bracket behind the seat.
Hi Tom, I had thought that the fender pto started the same year as the snap-fast but your explanation makes much more sense.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Welcome!!

As CP say's, What's up with all these new Missouri Case owners, me included?

I have my neighbor interested now, he stopped by last saturday and was checking my zebra 446 and my other 446 out. He came back this afternoon and told me he started looking them up on the internet and has decided he wants a Case too as soon as he get's rid of a cub cadet he just bought to fix up.

He was a little bashful but I think he was thinking I might sell him one of mine.

·
Registered
568 Posts
eBoyDog said:
Welcome!!

As CP say's, What's up with all these new Missouri Case owners, me included?

I have my neighbor interested now, he stopped by last saturday and was checking my zebra 446 and my other 446 out. He came back this afternoon and told me he started looking them up on the internet and has decided he wants a Case too as soon as he get's rid of a cub cadet he just bought to fix up.

He was a little bashful but I think he was thinking I might sell him one of mine.
Hey, 'Dog, I remember I used to see a 400 series way back in some tall weeds off I-44 somewhere around Stanton when i was hauling freight 10 years ago and thinking how I wished someone would rescue it. I wonder if it's still there. I wonder why I wonder these things. :headscratcher:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hydriv, No DKW for me. I wish but those are just my initials.

cp7, I've never heard of Harald's. Where's it at?

Well, I got all of the fluids changed yesterday as planned. The engine oil was definitely in need of a change. The hydraulic fluid looked brand new. I changed it anyway. Mine didn't have the allen head plug that I've read about. Mine had a plain square headed pipe plug. It looked to be original. The rear axle scared me. When I pulled the plug, I got @ a quart of clear water followed by the blackest, nastiest looking oil I've seen in a while. I let it drain for an hour or so and then refilled it. I figure I'll put a few hours on it and then change it again.
I didn't have time to trace down where the water was coming from. I had to button things up in a hurry since my daughter had a ballgame.
So far, so good. I'm sure I'll have more questions as time goes on.

Thanks again, Dana

·
Registered
568 Posts
Dana, I wouldn't be overly concerned about the axle lube. Many years of condesation can cause water to accumulate, and I've heard of tractors stored outside getting water in around the top cover gasket (no idea how since the cover is below the frame rails) also. I think you're on the right track running it and rechanging after a few hours.
John

·
Registered
7 Posts
I took the 222 out and worked it for a little while tonight. We've got a chicken house on skids that we leave in the garden during the winter. We move it back into the machine shed during the spring when it's time to put out the garden. It's not overly heavy. I can put my back into it and move it myself as long as it only needs to go a few feet. The Case made short work of it. I also mowed part of the yard(ran out of daylight). The only issue I had was the clutch for the mower not holding well. It disengaged 5 or 6 times in about 30 minutes of mowing. I'll dig through the files here and see what I need to do. Other than that, I grinning from ear to ear. :grin:

cp7, Thanks for the info on Harald's. They're pretty close to me and I'd never heard of them. I'll have to check them out sometime.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Hi Dana,
For the correct service information on your clutch (provided it is original to the tractor) go to the pto section of the "service manual" section of the files. Go to clutch service manual number 9-99653. Tab down to "Part II-Clutch Assembly Part Number C14152". That is the original clutch that came on the 1969 models. Compare it to what you have to verify that one is still on the tractor. If not, you will have to look through al the files to find the one currently on the tractor. Hope this helps, John

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.