Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Off a K321, wondering if anyone here has seen a failure like this or know why it happened. It started cranking and maybe 3-4 seconds in there was a sharpish bang...then just the starter freewheeling...no more cranky-crank....just cranky guy. ;)

Had a spare starter, pulled the plug and turned the engine over by hand...no strange noises and no missing teeth on the flywheel. Started right up with and ran without issues.

I assume parts are either not available to repair the starter, or darn close to the cost of a complete unit?

Thanks,
Al

Premium Member
I have not seen that before. Looks like a clean break, as in all at once with no rust in the break. That starter should be considered a parts donor. But then again, as I found out with the starters for my KT-19's, part dimensions vary between OEM and china copies , and even china copy to china copy. 馃槩

Cheers,
Gordy

Registered
Make sure you take all the egine spec numbers with you when you look, as there different starters for them engines, and different teeth count. To me the best would be take it a rebuilder place, electrical mechanical............Curt

Registered
Off a K321, wondering if anyone here has seen a failure like this or know why it happened. It started cranking and maybe 3-4 seconds in there was a sharpish bang...then just the starter freewheeling...no more cranky-crank....just cranky guy. ;)

Had a spare starter, pulled the plug and turned the engine over by hand...no strange noises and no missing teeth on the flywheel. Started right up with and ran without issues.

I assume parts are either not available to repair the starter, or darn close to the cost of a complete unit?

Thanks,
Al
Oddest thing. I zoomed in and it appears to be a shear break, not a rotational failure. As you mentioned the the engine turns, freely I presume. I've seen bendix gears blow apart. How old was the starter?

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Really have no idea how old the starter was. It was on the machine when purchased 6-7yrs ago. Rebuilt the engine 3 yrs ago and never had a problem until now. Just very surprised at "how" it broke.

Just looking for an underlying cause really...would prefer to fix the issue if there is one that can be pointed at.

Have it posted elsewhere too, and so far, seems like a pretty uncommon failure with no known root cause.

Al

Registered
Really have no idea how old the starter was. It was on the machine when purchased 6-7yrs ago. Rebuilt the engine 3 yrs ago and never had a problem until now. Just very surprised at "how" it broke.

Just looking for an underlying cause really...would prefer to fix the issue if there is one that can be pointed at.

Have it posted elsewhere too, and so far, seems like a pretty uncommon failure with no known root cause.

Al
Could be just the metal itself, I know a few years back when buying metal you drill in it and would hit carbide chunks. China would melt down anything when reprocessing it, better now, but was easy to do a drill bit in hitting some.........Curt

Administrator
1973 Case 444, 1974 Case 644, 1976 Case 446, 1977 Case 646
I know when the steel plants would run rebar they would throw old metal stamping dies in the BOF and melt them down with other scrap metal. It's not recommended to weld rebar even though I've done it and seen it done before. The break reminded me of an axle shaft on a Ford Econoline that broke right next to the bearing.

Keep the Peace
Harry

Registered
I was thinking about this at work while instructing some younger techs about electrolysis on aluminum battery cables and radiators. So, bear with me here. I bet that the sprag clutch seized and snapped the shaft. Even though there is no rotational stress visible in the photo. Usually when that happens the bendix doesn't have time to wind down and the gear explodes. Best explanation I have for you.

Registered
I know when the steel plants would run rebar they would throw old metal stamping dies in the BOF and melt them down with other scrap metal. It's not recommended to weld rebar even though I've done it and seen it done before. The break reminded me of an axle shaft on a Ford Econoline that broke right next to the bearing.

Keep the Peace
Harry
Harry,
Semi off topic. Do you remember why the axle snapped? Poor quality steel? BOF, where I used to work, it was called the BOP.

Administrator
1973 Case 444, 1974 Case 644, 1976 Case 446, 1977 Case 646
Hardhead story in off topic area.
Keep the Peace
Harry

Registered
I just got done shopping for a starter a month ago, depends on the one you need. $100 to $500 for OME from Kohler.........Curt

1 - 11 of 11 Posts