Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had problems with my starter a while back so I took it out cleaned it and lubed it and it worked a couple times. Now it just whirs without engaging the flywheel unless I hold the key on for up to a minute. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I don't use it much in the summer, usually just for casting snow in the winter. I don't trust my trying to fix the the starter again, it is not east to remove and replace again.

I'm considering getting a new starter and I don't want to go through the hassle of replacing it again, has anyone had any success with the starters sold on Ebay? Any other places that they would recommend in purchasing one? Are all starters made the same, being mine is a older unit made in 1978?

It's a fantastic machine when I get it running, quickly cleans my long driveway and the neighbors benefit from it whenever it snows. Thank you for any advise you can give me.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Would seem like the bendix needs repair. I think thats what propel the starter gear to engage the flywheel.

Someone more knowledgable than I will come along and offer advice.

Mine make a dry bearing sound now when releasing key which means it needs help as well.

·
Registered
97 Posts
My guess would be that the lube you used has turned into a paste and won't let the bendix engage. Once you warm up the starter for a minute the lube softens up a bit and then it works. Try spraying some penetrating oil in the bendix to see if it will loosen up.

·
Administrator
4,401 Posts
I would pull the starter now, before the cold hits, and dissassemble and clean it. It is not an atomic bomb. Just mark where the end caps are in relation to the "can" so it is easier to put back together. Check for any worn parts [fairly rare] and put it back together with one DROP of oil on the bushings, no more. Clean your splines on the bendix and if you like, a LITTLE graphite powder to lube them. There is probably nothing more wrong with it than dirt and dried crud. The old factory starters were WAY better built than the chicrap ones. If you have any issues just post a pic or 2 and the great minds here will guide you true!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much for the quick responses. You are all saying the same thing, the lithium grease I used is gumming up the bendix and has to be removed. Not looking forward to the fist fight of removing and reassembling again, but I hate shoveling snow even more. It is reassuring to know there are people here with the knowledge to help folks like me in times of difficulty. The "chicrap" units on Ebay are bright and shiny but the prices made me question their quality, thanks for the tip Dundee222!

·
Ingersoll Dealer
1,530 Posts
Nick,

I've had some luck in taking the lh cylinder head baffle off for access, then getting the starter bendix to engage the flywheel but not start the engine. This exposes the armature shaft as much as possible so that you can then use an aerosol can of brake clean etc with a straw to clean as much sticky crap as possible from the bendix/armature shaft. Then a little graphite lube or WD40, nothing heavier. It's worth a try and if it works it sure beats removing the starter.

There is actually a grease that is made purposely for lubricating starter drives, I don't have the part number at hand but have always purchased it from Kohler.

Bob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.