Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Ingersoll 3014 w/ a Kohler M14. The engine won't start with the key switch, but it will start if I jump across the solenoid terminals. I have already replaced the solenoid. Other than a possible wiring issue, does this sound like an ignition switch problem?

·
Super Moderator
3,513 Posts
I'm not for sure but developed the same problem yesterday on a 4020. Not positive but that's what I'm thinking is the problem. Been doing the same as you. Got snow removal done today and heading South today so I'll looks at it when I return. Please keep us updated on your progress an good luck !!!

Capt Dan

·
Premium Member
2,706 Posts
Look at your solenoid, find the wire/stud that goes to the safety switch's. Put a temporary jumper wire on it to a good ground then try to start the engine. If it starts the problem is in the safety system, If it does not crank try another jumper wire to the stud that goes to the key switch and battery +. If it does not crank, the solenoid is bad. If it does crank the key switch or connections are bad.

:cheers:
Gordy

·
Ingersoll Dealer
4,118 Posts
We recommend replacement of the ignition switch if you don't know when it was last replaced. They simply do NOT outlast these tractors and always fail at very inconvenient timing.

https://salempwr.com/c30267-kit-ignition-switch/ Kohler Magnum
https://salempwr.com/c30530-kit-ignition-switch/ 3000/4000 Onan and late model 200/400's

I presume you jumpered the high current portion of the relay and you tractor cranked.

There are also safety switches in the start circuit, which directly control the stand alone starter solenoid (Kohler) or the starter mounted solenoid (Onan 4020).

You should investigate the start circuit thoroughly using the diagram from your parts or owner's manual. Neutral switch, PTO switch, and seat switches may all be in play if the new solenoid is not getting the 12V/Gnd side control signal and pulling in.

Brian

·
Site sponsor, Parts Dealer
3,031 Posts
I Second Brian's comment ( The ignition switch now days will not outlast these machines) We also suggest to check all connection's, we use die electric grease on them. Bill, Barneveld Imp.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts