Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
444 case
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Art Font Style Line Technology

I'm still working on my steering, question my new friends,once I take off number 8 from number 6 does that pin thread out of number 5 the bracket?I've taken 11 out and 12 is seized to 6 and I've heated it and can't get it off there,would love some help plz

·
Registered
444 case
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes ... the steering pivot pin should thread out of the support bracket. And of course the gear should not be seized to the pin it pivots on ...

Brian
Thanks,I haven't had a chance to get under it,it poured rain all day yesterday and I'm doing it outside,gotta let it dry up a bit

·
Registered
117 Posts
Does 12 rotate on 6 as it should? A little penetrating lube should help.

Define heat: propane, oxy/MAPP or oxy/acetylene. I have found propane a bit weak to expand iron.

·
Registered
444 case
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you considered using a puller to take the steering gear off #12 from #6?
I haven't yet,good idea to try
Does 12 rotate on 6 as it should? A little penetrating lube should help.

Define heat: propane, oxy/MAPP or oxy/acetylene. I have found propane a bit weak to expand iron.
it's supposed to rotate there I've been using propane,I understand what you mean there,

·
Registered
117 Posts
it's supposed to rotate there I've been using propane,I understand what you mean there,
I think the problem with propane is that it does not have enough heat to raise the temperature and expand the hole in the iron before the heat transfers and expands the pin too.

I have a small Bernz-o-matic oxy/MAPP torch that is okay but it EATS through those small oxygen tanks fast. Watch C'List for a nice small oxy/acetylene torch set. I just got one this year and am amazed how often I pull it out.

·
Registered
444 case
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think the problem with propane is that it does not have enough heat to raise the temperature and expand the hole in the iron before the heat transfers and expands the pin too.

I have a small Bernz-o-matic oxy/MAPP torch that is okay but it EATS through those small oxygen tanks fast. Watch C'List for a nice small oxy/acetylene torch set. I just got one this year and am amazed how often I pull it out.
I got it out and its seized pretty good,I don't think its ever been greased,gonna get new parts,thanks for your help
View attachment 123434
I'm still working on my steering, question my new friends,once I take off number 8 from number 6 does that pin thread out of number 5 the bracket?I've taken 11 out and 12 is seized to 6 and I've heated it and can't get it off there,would love some help plz
Thank everyone for their help,this group is awesome

1 - 8 of 8 Posts