Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pulled drain plug on rear of 444 before removing it from the frame. Was full of GASOLINE! The gas tank had been patched at one time by PO. Maybe it leaked into the rear through the breather? Kinda unlikely, there's not a way for the gas to flood around the breather deep enough. Not just a little gas, more like a quart or more. Looked like more gas than oil, and more than 3 quarts total. Time for another gas tank and pull the rear apart for clean/inspect.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Billygoat said:
Pulled drain plug on rear of 444 before removing it from the frame. Was full of GASOLINE! The gas tank had been patched at one time by PO. Maybe it leaked into the rear through the breather? Kinda unlikely, there's not a way for the gas to flood around the breather deep enough. Not just a little gas, more like a quart or more. Looked like more gas than oil, and more than 3 quarts total. Time for another gas tank and pull the rear apart for clean/inspect.
At least you had something in your rearend BG I was going to drain mine tonight so I could pull my motor I removed the drain plug and nothing came out. The tractor isn't perfectly level so I'm hoping that theres some oil on the other side.

You don't suppose the po dumped the gas in the hyd tank by mistake and it ran pass the seal into the rearend do you?

Mark

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oleblu72 said:
You don't suppose the po dumped the gas in the hyd tank by mistake and it ran pass the seal into the rearend do you?

Mark
No, the oil in the hydraulic system looked good. And it was oil, not hydraulic fluid. I thinking Stewart may be right on this one. I got the tractor from my son, who got it from his MIL after his FIL passed away. He was working on it before he passed, maybe he put it in there to flush it out. One of the great mysterys of life. :headscratcher:

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Hmmm...you guys have me wondering now. My gas cap is NOT the right one. It will snug up enough to stay in place but that is about it. When I'm mowing rough and bumpy areas I get a wiff of gasoline once in a while. I'd better check mine...

·
Administrator
3,415 Posts
Hi RockDog,
Common occurance to have gas smell until the fuel level gets to about 3/4-1/2 especially on rough and hilly ground even with the correct gas cap. I have a habit of overfilling them, well almost all of them!!!!! Stihl, Husqvarna, Echo, B&S, Ingersoll, Scag, diesel VW, adult beverage container!!!! HaHa!!!! :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh:
Mad Mackie in Taxonnecticut :mrgreen: :mowlawn:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.