Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 73 224 we (Daughter and I) are working on and the key is stuck in the ignition switch. Normally not an issue but we need to remove the switch as part of our cleaning up, etc.and the back of the key doesn't clear the hole to remove the swithc. Looking for suggestions on how to get the key out with out trashing the switch as it appears to work fine. It is more of a traditional key than the Indec type seen on later units. I admit I can cut the key edges off or totally cut the key off and replace the switch but part of the purpose of this excercise is to understand how to fix and reuse stuff. It may come to that but she thinks the traditional key type is more unique. We had soaked it with PB blaster over the weekend but no luck in getting it out. It doesn't want to move backwards or forwards much at all. It is possible the key is twisted or bent just enough to not allow it to pull out which likely means it is toast.

Thanks

GLC

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
It probably is bent, as you suspect. I would clamp a pair of ViseGrips onto the head of the key to get more control and pulling power while twisting it. Be gentle but let's face it. If the key breaks off, you will have to replace the switch anyway. It's always good to try to salvage parts and extend their life but this only goes so far before it's a lost cause.

A new switch won't be the same but at least it will solve the key issue.

http://www.casegardentractorparts.com/elsy.html

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ignition switch will be set aside. Got key out with no damage. Did try the vice grip trick and some turning, when I got to what would normally be the "run" position on a typical Case switch it pulled right out. Never thought to turn it that far and pull. Though the start position was still just past this point. Me things something if AFU inside. And even if it isn't I am not going to deal with some odd ball switch just to keep an old style key.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.