Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there Boomer, what would you recommend I use for a tach to set up the governor and rpm's on any Onan's I might be working on?I don't want a permanent mount, but one that I can use when working on different tractors. Thanks, Mark :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Mr onetwo said:
Bart said:
I picked up one from ebay that was about $20 delivered. Can't go wrong with that kind of deal.
Thanks Guys.....Hey,Bart....which one did you get on Ebay? Do you think it is accurate enough? Thanks,Mark :mrgreen:
Here's a link to one that looks like the one I got but probably a different seller--mine came from Hong Kong.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Digital-Las ... 693wt_1270

I have no way to measure the accuracy but it seems to be pretty good, certainly good enough for a tractor engine.

·
Administrator
3,403 Posts
Hi Bart and group,
I use one just like the eBay one and also in my personal album there is pictured a Neiko unit that I have had for many years. The Neiko unit is much larger. I have made comments on some of the test equipment pics in my albums.
The one on eBay is is fine. I bought three so I would have a spare, but gave two away to friends. Can't beat the price!!! The first photo type tach that I bought in the 70s was $400 when I was making $8/hour, took me a long time to pay it off to the tool guy!!!! I checked all four photo tachs and they were right on with each other and my other test equipment. I do not recommend using the 9 volt battery that comes with the unit, replace it with a quality brand name battery.
Bob MacGregor in CT

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Up here in Saskatchewan mine was $140.00 from the local Cooper Tools last year. :facepalm:

Buy Local and keep the currency at home seems to be the order of the day these days :headscratcher: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh:

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
The RPM Range is only 2.5 to 99,999 RPM so I'm not sure it will work on my high performance Onan b43m. :facepalm: :wtf: :wink: :eh: :thumbsup: :mowlawn: :sidelaugh:

P.S. I just bought 2! One for me and one for my cousin for Christmas. :letitsnow:

·
Administrator
3,403 Posts
On my former 448, I cleaned one of the EZ Adjust clutch adjusting nut flats and stuck on a piece of reflective tape. When I had Onans I set them up to run at 3,600 RPM with the deck running. On my 4018/Vanguard repower I stuck a piece of reflective tape on the pump drive adapter. If you look around my garage and shop you will find a piece of reflective tape on everything that turns, lathe, miller, drill press, grinder, air compressor pulley, grandfather clock!!!! HaHa!!! :crazy:
In fact I did the battery change in most of my toys. Several batteries had a 2008 use before date!!! My Bad!!!!
Mad Mackie in Taxonnecticut :mrgreen: :mowlawn:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.