Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drained oil today from rear trans axel of an 85 446 that I just picked up and the oil was tan in color, never saw this before. I did find when I bought the tractor that the long bolt in the right rear seat support was missing and the previous owner only used this machine to plow snow for the last 7 years (It has 522 hours on it). I think that maybe it got some water in the rear? Could that have caused the tan colored oil?? Anyway I put in one quart of an 80W-90 gear oil for the rear and there have been dif opinions about filling the rear with more than one quart of oil? The rear drain plug has an additional plug just above it and the manual says that is where the oil should be filled to, once it starts comming out of that plug then there is enough oil in the rear?? Does it really matter if there is more than that? I filled the rear from the top right bolt hole at the rear seat supprot.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Sounds like you had water in there,probably be a good idea to reseal the trans cover and make sure you replace that missing bolt on the top right corner and then find a shim that fits right inside the frame rail where that bolt goes so you don't pinch the frame rail when you tighten up that bolt.As far as oil level goes pull the rear level plug & add oil until it starts to trickle out.You also might want to look your tractor up in the tech section ,theres service manuals and owners manuals just get your serial # and find the correct manual for your 448.

Mark

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Re: Tan colored oil in rear trans axle

The problem with most "owners" is that is all they are. They "own" the tractor.........that's it. The Op Manual rarely comes with the purchase because they either throw it out or put it someplace and can't remember where. They never even looked inside the manual. Therefore, changing out the hydraulic oil or the trans-axle oil just never happens. If you had witnessed water draining out first, followed by murky oil; then removing the trans-axle from the tractor to reseal the top cover would be in the cards. However, it might be that the top gasket is OK and all you are seeing in that old oil is the result of condensation after all those years of neglect combined with some water finding its way in there via the missing bolt.

Early trans-axles used 3 quarts of oil. Later ones, such as the one you have, only needed one pint. There were no changes to the trans-axle other than adding the "level plug" to the right side. Ingersoll has never explained why this change came about. Several of the dealers are uncomfortable with one pint and so they add one quart instead to give the trans-axle a wider safety margin. Since the trans-axle was originally designed to have 3 quarts, putting one quart in it won't hurt at all. I would just run the tractor the way it is for a year and then drop the oil at that time to see if there is any evidence of water still getting inside.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Guys. I did replace that bolt in the top right rear seat support. I will run it for a year and change oild and hopefully I can remember to report back to see if that was the way water was getting in there or if I have to replace the rear gear case gasket (done it twice on my 444, once when trans gears bolts sheered off and the other time to replace the cracked trans / rear).

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Hey CC

If you live in an area that gets below Freezing for any period of time then I would be checking the rear end before freeze up. :thumbsup:

I would check mine by letting the tractor sit a couple of days and then loosen the drain plug enough for some liquid to drain into a clean pan.

If she's clean then you are good to go. :trink:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.