Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As predicted in an earlier post, I shaved a tree root today. Not the first time, won`t be the last. The Meg-Mo knives folded back as designed, this gouged and bent the center disc. First interested member who PM`s and is willing to pay the shipping charges on the box that arrives at your house may have them. RM-48 deck. Remember that`s a RIGHT HAND deck, 4 digit tractors ONLY !
You may repair the disc or purchase one new unit and have 4 spare knives. No aspersions cast or blame assigned to anyone other than myself.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Talk to any dealer, regardless of the brand of lawn tractor, yard tractor or garden tractor, and they will tell you stories about blades being bent, blades being broken, mandrels breaking, spindles breaking and other damage to decks as a result of the blade or blades striking immovable objects.

This coming week, I am going to spend 4 or 5 days running a big 4 x 4 Kubota farm tractor with an 8 foot Woods bush hog style mower on the back. My son and I rent yard space off the chap that has called me in to run this unit for him. One of the services he provides to customers is "field cutting". The Woods decks have much longer swing blades on them and they turn slower than your deck, Randy. The blades are one inch thick steel and yet his guys bend them, break them, bend the center disc and even smash the gears in the right angle gear boxes.

It's hard to say what might have happened to an OEM set of blades had those been on your deck when the tree root was struck. You may have struck tree root before and got away with it. Every time can be slightly different and end up with different results. On the Yahoo forum, a member posted this yesterday.

Mower Deck Blues
Posted by: "Albert Hines" [email protected] albert_hines
Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:52 am (PDT)

Well, the outboard mower blade fell out this morning. The spindle failed at the keyway, took out the pulley and basically everything on that blade except the blade itself. Where is a good source for a replacement?

Albert

I've seen bent spindles and broken mandrels but I've never seen a spindle fail at the keyway before. I would think that Albert has hit stuff with that blade in the past and cracked the spindle right at the key slot. This just decided to fail for no apparent reason yesterday.

It's your decision regarding the blades. I would contact Roy. He's been known to provide a full refund for the cost of the actual blades to those who are truly unhappy with his product. I think that I would just pound the plate flat and put it back on again but then again, I'm not you and you are not me. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hydriv said:
Talk to any dealer, regardless of the brand of lawn tractor, yard tractor or garden tractor, and they will tell you stories about blades being bent, blades being broken, You may have struck tree root before and got away with it.

It's your decision regarding the blades. I would contact Roy. He's been known to provide a full refund for the cost of the actual blades to those who are truly unhappy with his product. :thumbsup:
I`m actually a reasonably careful operator and have not destroyed a blade in 40+ years.
It is certainly not Roy`s fault, I am not complaining, merely moving on.
Your points are well made and well taken. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Sorry to hear about your mishap. I also have the Megs on my tractor and they are coming off as soon as I but new OEM blades. I just dont like them at all and they leave lines in my yard which can really be seen at night when the spot lights are on.

·
Administrator
3,282 Posts
It is unfortunate that the Meg Mos are not doing the job for some of you. I think that part of the problem may be the slow blade tip speed that Case/Ingersoll left hand discharge mowers run at as compared to up to date right hand discharge machines. I checked the blade tip speeds on both my 4018/RM48 and my Scag Tiger Cub/48" deck. My RM48 is running at 15,905 Ft/Min and my Scag is at 17,710 Ft/Min both with the engines running at 3,600 RPM. My 4018 has been repowered with a Vanguard 18 and has an electric clutch with a pulley slightly larger in diameter than the stock Onan clutch. I have not as yet checked the blade tip speed on any 200 or 400 series but I suspect that the J-N 40, 44, and 46 decks run slower than an RM deck.
I usually buy aftermarket blades 12 at a time and although I have a blade sharpening machine I scrap many blades during the season due to rock and root damage.
While looking at some of my discarded blades and picturing what the Meg-Mos would be subjected to I decided to stay with stock blades. The airflow created by the stock blades verses Meg-Mos was another consideration as collection systems although providing vacuum from the blowers still need to be fed by mower blades that make lots of airflow to keep the cut grass moving.
Bob MacGregor in CT :mrgreen: :mowlawn:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.