Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a early Case shaft drive 48" snowblower on Ebay that closed this afternoon. It was listed as No Shipping-Local pick up only. The winning bidder is from Slovenia (I think that it used to be part of Russia). He wants to know how I'm going to ship it. My question is: is anyone going to Slovenia in the next couple of weeks that wouldn't mind carrying a snowblower with them? Thanks in advance. Gregg

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I'd offer to take it with me but I'd have to fly first class or the overweight luggage charges would be a killer. If you pickup the upgrade perhaps we can work something out.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bart, Theres $20 in it for ya. Will that cover it? I'm wondering if there is really someone in Slovenia using a Case tractor...

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
What's the feedback rating for that buyer?

I have to wonder HOW an old Case found it's way to the former Republic of Yugoslavia and survived all of the strife that has occurred there? Serbs and Croats...

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've been doing a little researce and this is what I've found. Back in the 60s and 70s Case garden tractors were extremely popular in Slovenia. They were considered by many Slovenians to be the ultimate status symbol. They bought these tractors by the thousands and Slovenians being famous for liking their "bells and whistles" bought them loaded up. Most came with 3PT., PTO, hold valves, wheel weights, flow control valves and front and rear suitcase weights. Lots of the 200 series came with front and rear chrome hubcaps. Case also used Slovenia as a proving ground for their new or experimental models so their are lots of T 90s (these were perfect for taking a couple of sheep to market or mounting a small machine gun) , Black Knights and Torq 224s there also. The end of the glory years for Case in Slovenia came as a result of lack of comunication as much as anything. The Clear And Simple English of the Case service manuals apparantly didn't translate well into Slovenian and they could never figure out how to adjust the shim type clutches. Once the clutch started slipping they put the tractor in the barn and thats where they are to this day. This and the unfortunate decision by Case marketing to go away from the Desert Sunset and Power Red (even a Slovenian knows that this is a step in the wrong direction) color combo was the begining of the end.
A quick check of Boratslist (the Slovenian version of CL) showed that these tractors can be picked up today for around 11 dracma ($25 US). There was also recently a pallet of "New in the box" EZ adjust clutches for sale for $1.25 US. Case shipped them too late to salvage things.
I'm only passing this information on in hopes that someone will go to check this out and won't mind taking my snowblower along for the ride. The guy owes me $63...

·
Banned
1,373 Posts
Wow, you are spot on with that info, I checked your story out and it appears to accurate.

Only problem is, once I hit Boratslist, I couldn't tear myself away from the MW4Goat section in casual encounters. :sidelaugh:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts