Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 446 yesterday and I’m beginning to think the guy I bought it from was lying or had no idea what he was talking about. I didn’t know the deck was locked up until I got to his place, etc.Easy enough fix. It ran fine at his place. I get it home and it runs fine for about a minute and then bogs down like it’s going to die for a minute or so before coming back up. I don’t have any experience with an Onan engine but I’m beginning to think I was taken for a ride

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
As a follow up, I treated the engine with some SeaFoam top end cleaner and it will now run for a few minutes longer before bogging down

·
Administrator
6,182 Posts
Well, I don't think you got taken only you paid an exorbitant price for it. Most of these tractors end up needing some TLC after 40 yrs or so,, so that in itself shouldn't be a surprise. Most of the issues you've described are just kind of par for the course on these.

Your deck, likely hasn't run for a whiles, and the spindle bearings likely need replacing. The motor, well sounds like maybe it has some contamination in there. The break, could need adjustment or it could be worn out, BUT, in my mind, the brake is more of a park brake, versus a brake like your vehicle has. The only thing the pedal really does good, is to kick the control valve down into neutral,,

Anyways, look up your serial number in the parts section, and there are tons of manuals that will help you get up and going well.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
As a follow up, I treated the engine with some SeaFoam top end cleaner and it will now run for a few minutes longer before bogging down
After it’s running and starts to bog down can you apply the choke to make it run longer? It could just need a carb cleaning.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After it’s running and starts to bog down can you apply the choke to make it run longer? It could just need a carb cleaning.
I tried that. It kills the engine. The guy I bought it from recently rebuilt the carb so I’m thinking maybe it isn’t adjusted correctly

·
Registered
8 Posts
I tried that. It kills the engine. The guy I bought it from recently rebuilt the carb so I’m thinking maybe it isn’t adjusted correctly
Before you test, make sure that there is no spark, fire or hot exhaust in the area. You need to establish whether the fuel supply is constant. Take off the fuel hose put the end in a container and crank the engine over. You should see fuel coming from the hose. If OK then test for spark with a timing light. Your problem is most likely fuel or spark.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Before you test, make sure that there is no spark, fire or hot exhaust in the area. You need to establish whether the fuel supply is constant. Take off the fuel hose put the end in a container and crank the engine over. You should see fuel coming from the hose. If OK then test for spark with a timing light. Your problem is most likely fuel or spark.
I appreciate the help. I got that issue worked out. It was just the the gentleman I bought it from had rebuilt the carburetor but not adjusted it correctly. Runs great now. Now just have to work out PTO clutch issues and rebuilt the deck spindles

1 - 7 of 7 Posts