Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering selling my '78 model 446. It has an Onan engine, but the engine appears to have at least a broken connecting rod. My dilemma is that the engine failed on me around March, and my intention was to fix it, but I am not sure that I am going to have the time nor money. We are having a garage sale this w/e, I am considering putting it in the sale. So my question is.... what would be a fair price? I know that it is hard to tell without looking at it but I will describe it as accurately as I can here...

'78 Case 446. Engine not working (it will start and run, but only on one cylinder). Hydraulics work as expected. EZ Adjust clutch was replaced last year. The only rust on the tractor is some surface rust on the side of the hood. Tires are all in good shape. Does NOT have ag tires, only turf tires. Mower deck has some holes (it works, but is in so-so shape). Deck bearings were replaced last year. I have chains for the tires, sleeve hitch (for a 200 series), and 54 inch front blade that is in pretty good condition (not all rusted and nasty).

So tell me, am I looking at a $100 price, $400, $???.

I am not positive that I am going to sell as I hate to give it up, and I don't know when I will be able to buy another one. But it is just sitting in my garage doing nothing.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Do you actually KNOW that the con rod is broken ?
Why not invest an hour and remove the cyl head from the side that doesn`t run and confirm or deny the broken rod
theory? Certainly would help you decide if you really want to want to sell and would have a significant impact on your asking price. JMO

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
If the tractor were in good running condition it would be worth around $500 with a working deck. The blade is worth around $175 based upon your description and the sleeve hitch another $150. Since the engine is not working the value of the tractor is more in the $250 range. Given the vintage of your tractor I doubt that you could recoup the cost of rebuilding the engine even if you did the labor yourself. If the engine was in good condition before breaking the rod (good compression) then you might get lucky and be able to just replace the rod but you won't know that without tearing it down.

Sadly, the greatest value is probably in parting it out.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's kinda what I was thinking. So around $500 - $600 with everything included. I'm not really interested in parting it out. I am still on the fence about selling it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.