Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got my "4026" diesel project all buttoned up and ready to test drive and I had about 7 quarts of oil left over from the rear axle and engine (nicely enough they all use 15W-40). I poured the 7 quarts in and it doesn't even register in the tank. No oil on the ground either so it's all in the tractor... somewhere... Leads me to this thought: How much oil did these things need stock? I have poked around and most say 10 quarts but if that was the case I'd at least be able to see some oil in the tank by now I'd hope, I didn't add that much hydraulic capacity with return lines and such. Going to acquire at least 10 more quarts this weekend and give it another go. When I get it running and moving I'll post a video here assuming it doesn't obliterate itself or me. This is a 1978 model 444 originally with the plastic tank in the control stack behind the steering wheel.

· Premium Member
79 case 448
87 Posts
I can't remember off hand the actual capacity, but being you probably had the system dry all the lines and stuff probably drank it up. My guess is once you have more oil not much more will be needed.

· Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can't remember off hand the actual capacity, but being you probably had the system dry all the lines and stuff probably drank it up. My guess is once you have more oil not much more will be needed.
That's what I'm hoping. I'd hate to buy another 5 quarts just to use like a quart out of it. Thankfully oil prices have come down a good bit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts