Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My "79" 444 with a Kohler 14hp after rebuild. Question on throttle. My throttle lever has little travel between idle and full blast. Got to be about 1/4". Is it supposed to be this way? Or do I have something out of adjustment?

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Your throttle lever resides in a slot in the dash. The lever should make use of almost all of the slot if everything is in proper order.

Once again, this is a situation whereby you consult the parts manual for your tractor and make a comparison between what you see on your tractor in the way of parts and what you see in the parts manual. Previous owners often do silly things, such as substituting parts that are not correct for your tractor. No one is likely going to tell you what is wrong because they can't see your tractor. But you can see it and you can also see what the parts manual is telling you. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did all that and it looks right. Guess someone could have put an incorrect spring (too stiff) between the throttle linkage and the govener arm although it looks the same as the photos. If I remove that spring and move the throttle up there is no increase of RPM's. That spring must be hooked to the govener arm to get the RPM's. I had loosened the governor arm bolt and turned the rod that the arm is on counterclockwise as far as it would go. Then tightened up the arm. I have tried to move the spring to different positions, to no availe.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Take a look at the Case engine manual #9-77713 in the service section of the tech library...pg 12 & 13 talk about governor and throttle operation and adjustment.Good luck...isn't the tech library just wunnerful! :thumbsup: Please let us know how you make out :thumbsup:

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Mr 1 2. It worked. The one thing I didn't do was hold the butterfly control arm in the full open position when making the adjustment. Now I better read up about adjusting the brakes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.