Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Working on a 10hp K with the common sloppy shaft problem.
Has anyone installed the kit sold to remedy this issue ?
Can it be done accurately WITHOUT a vertical mill ?
Any other ideas ? I`m pressed for time. Have to have this brand "S" unit up & running by Sat.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Further research shows the repair kit to be $50+ and a brand new OEM carb is only $100.

So.. unless someone has a better idea, it would seem that new is the way to go.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The e-bay seller ( 49,000 transactions!) did not respond, so I adapted Mikes concept and modified a fiber washer to fit the recess and topped it with a baby o-ring. Solved THAT issue and moved on to the REAL problem. While I realize that I am commiting an unpardonable transgression ( due to brand "S" equipment) the follow up post may be usefull to other K-series operators. Stay tuned for the REST of the story/ :grin:

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Just so everyone knows, there is no "transgression" taking place in this thread. 99 is discussing a carb issue with a Kohler K engine and he's doing it in the Kohler forum.. It does not matter if that engine is sitting in a
Deere, Cub, Massey, Ford, Colt, Case, Simplicity or Ingersoll. A Kohler problem is a Kohler problem and the membership can learn from the thread. That's what matters on this site.............LEARNING.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
99flhr said:
The e-bay seller ( 49,000 transactions!) did not respond, so I adapted Mikes concept and modified a fiber washer to fit the recess and topped it with a baby o-ring. Solved THAT issue and moved on to the REAL problem. While I realize that I am commiting an unpardonable transgression ( due to brand "S" equipment) the follow up post may be usefull to other K-series operators. Stay tuned for the REST of the story/ :grin:
In tune :thumbsup: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh:

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Please bear with me as this is long and contains details that are there only to illustrate that failing to follow proper trouble shooting sequence will cause you grief :oops:

This Simplicity 7110 6/spd is an unmolested surviviour that was included in my recent house purchase. Seller is an 89 yr old gentleman who purchased it new in `81 Has great tin/paint /decals and none of the cobbled up repairs usually found on older machines.
Finally have time to mess with it, change fluids etc. Fires up at the touch of the key, sounds crisp, runs great.
That is, UNTIL you turn on the deck, esp uphill, revs drop badly, no power. Deck sounds like a threshing machine so I tear it down and install new OEM spindles/bearings/blades/belts etc.
Now the deck is smooth and quiet, performance improves but still won`t maintain power uphill and takes a long time for rpm to recover even if you shut off the deck. At this point I notice that the t-shaft moves 1/8th" when pulled by the gov. Okay, makes sense, deck on, uphill, gov opens, leaks more air, power drops. So I seal the t-shaft as detailed above.
Test drive and find out that I`m WRONG, AGAIN.
Now I do what I should have done earlier and check the points, can not be adjusted to a wide enough gap. Figure the rubbing block is worn ( it is) and install a new set, same issue, can not obtain .020
Now I`m :twisted: and determined to fix this little bastardo.
Bust out the die grinder and elongate the point adjustment screw hole and relieve the edge of the movable mounting plate
Install and VIOLA it goes up hill like magic ! ( Well, not like an Ingersoll, but you get the point)
I assume that slight wear on all the internal parts that move the plunger has created a compound error that results in a short stroke. Yes, I understand that I have only treated the symptom and not the underlying problem.
My daughter graduated college last fall and announced in July that she`s buying a nearby home with 1.5 acres, moving in this wkend and THAT`S why I had to get this done. Can`t recall that this kid has ever mowed a blade of grass in her life.
Should be a learning experience. :sidelaugh:

Now that I`ve ranted a bit, I feel better. Thanks for listening :wave:

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
gator_rider2 said:
Looks just like it, thanks, but I`m fairly certain that I don`t want TWO of these things !

Can`t imagine one fetching $950. :headscratcher: Then again, what do I know ?

Parts for repairs came to $350+ and I figured that was probably the max value of the unit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.