Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning, gents I could use some help. I would like to get some tire chains for my 3016. I'm thinking about these:

http://www.tirechain.com/23X10.50X12.htm

Specifically the Heavy Duty, 2 Link, Twisted for $60.

I know nothing about tire chains. I've read posts suggesting various quality differences... purchasing from someone reputable (blah, blah, blah).

Should I really be concerned?
Is there a reputable website/seller?
Other concerns and/or recommendations?

To me they are chains. I know I wanted the twisted, 2 link, zinc coated. That's all I know.

Thanks! JB

·
Ingersoll Dealer
4,173 Posts
We recommend tirechain.com to most of our customers. Good service and prices.

I think you've selected a good chain for your application ... but in this case I would not hesitate to go down to the medium duty 2 links.

You do want to be sure they are nice and tight when installed. Sometimes takes some fussing on first installation. We recommend you install and tighten with tire deflated, then inflate to ~8 PSI to snug them up properly.

Brian
Salem Power Equipment

·
Registered
703 Posts
JB…I run your preferred chain selection on my 448 with rear turfs on a challenging, often icy driveway. I have only been stuck once, and that was operator error. Based on my experience, the 2-link v-bar combination works well. Your may want to reconsider if your drive is paved.:thumbup:
Troll

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Your looking at the best choice in chains, you'll be very happy with them.
Along with the chains you'll want weight, at least 50#, but closer to 100# per rear tire is better. A light tire will allow the chain to just spin, the weight holds the tire & chain down to give you the needed traction. Weight should be low, best inside the tire (liquid) or at least on the wheel as a steel weight.
You also need some weight on the front to hold that end down and help with steering, (20#/tire). With Chains, turf tires are fine, and on the front you could use chains, but most prefer Tri-rib tires (or Ag Lugs will work), but just turf turf on the front will not let you control steering. A snowblower or Plow gives the front weight when it is up, but when down and working, it actually lightens the front, loosing steering control.
Again, excellent choice. Keep the chains on tight. I mount them deflated, use (USA-made; they do last longer) Rubber Bungies & 'S' hooks inside in like a star-pattern to keep tension on the chain, then put in 20PSI air in the tires. In third gear, the chains can loosen up slightly, throw themselves out and really bang on the under fender, avoid third with chains. Your 2-link will give a much softer-smoother ride than 4 link, and has twice the bite. The V-bar has a much more aggressive bite but can really tear up an asphalt or concrete drive. It's the "spinning" that damages pavement and digs, with extra weight, you'll greatly reduce the times you spin by accident. (when mounting, have the 'open end' of the connectors away from the rubber tire, they could dig into the tire if touching-rubbing).
Good Luck and have fun.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I bought medium duty 2 link for a 224 this winter,been plowing with them all winter,got to say I like them way more, then the 4 link vbar I use on a 226 with blower,just the ride difference is awesome,all my clearing is done on concrete,I also have a 444 with blower on it currently,it is set up with the rubber chains,I enjoy the low pros more so i
I have yet to use it this winter,have used this for 54'' plow and really liked it, with the rubber it isnt so harsh on concrete,good luck with your choice,Ive never plowed or blowed on gravel so have no opinion on a good choice,Kyle

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have 2 link medium duty chains that I bought at a local mower shop. they work very well and for a small tractor like ours (your 3016 and my3018) I really don't see the need for anything more extreme then that. just remember no matter what you put on a tractor, that is 2 wheel drive without a diff lock, you can still get it stuck if your not careful.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, so that helped. I have another question, but a few statements about what I'm doing.

I've got a 54 inch blade and 60 pounds on each tire. I've got a large concrete drive way. The garage blocks any sunlight on about half the surface area, resulting in an ice sheen on the surface.

Even though I can get some ice, The vbar seems to be overkill in terms of price and I don't want to tear up the concrete. (Agree/disagree?) I think the standard (non-vbar) 2 link will do it.

I'm betting the med duty would be fine, but leaning toward the HD. My thought was that for an extra 15 bucks I'd get an extra 12lbs per side.

Reading over the comments, should I go with the rubber? (Due to the concrete.)

Thanks for all the input. That's what I love about this forum, something as basic as chains and you get a ton of good information.

jb

·
Administrator
2,783 Posts
Use icemelt on the driveway. If you keep that crap off there the sun will help even if it's shaded

Sent from Tapatalk

·
Registered
160 Posts
I would stick with the 2 link chains,they will out perform the rubber on ice,plus 24lbs at 15.00 is a good thing,just dont go crazy on your concrete with the chains and it will be all good,jmo-Kyle

·
Onan Master, new and used parts.
1,490 Posts
mightyjb
i have an 82 448 ( big wheel )
i have TWO link V BAR chains.
i could give a rats ass less if i SCRATCH my concrete.
thank you. boomer

1 - 10 of 10 Posts