Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner

Tire Chains

1K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Gordy 
#1 ·
Does anyone know an easy way to put chains on a 4020?

#2 ·
Standard way to put chains on small wheels like our Cases is to lay them out flat and straight on the ground/floor then drive onto them about a foot. Then pull the long end of the chains up and over the tires and connect the ends doing the inside first. The ends will be behind the tractor, thus easier to access, and with only a foot or so to lift up easier to connect. IF, once connected as short as you can go due to the cross chains, they are still way loose, bolt cutters or a grinder will allow you to shorten them till they fit properly with little or no slack.

#3 ·
^^^ This. I would add that zip ties can help to hold the long tensioner link (for lack of better term) in place so that it does not inadvertantly come loose during operation. I have also used a zip tie to hold an extra link or two from flopping around in lieu of cutting them off.

#4 ·
Ok, this isn't helpful. But you DID ask. :)

I do know an easy way to put chains on a 4020. Here's how I do it for my 4020:

1. Design, fabricate and install a three point hitch.
2. Design, fabricate and install a concrete counterweight for the three point hitch.
3. Design, fabricate and install a detachable front loader.
4. Power drop the bucket in front and the counterweight in the rear such that the rear wheels are suspended in the air.
5. Install the chains at your leisure.

Wheel Tire Plant Automotive tire Vehicle

:geek::geek::geek::geek::geek::geek:

#9 ·
Ok, this isn't helpful. But you DID ask. :)

I do know an easy way to put chains on a 4020. Here's how I do it for my 4020:

1. Design, fabricate and install a three point hitch.
2. Design, fabricate and install a concrete counterweight for the three point hitch.
3. Design, fabricate and install a detachable front loader.
4. Power drop the bucket in front and the counterweight in the rear such that the rear wheels are suspended in the air.
5. Install the chains at your leisure.

View attachment 128530

:geek::geek::geek::geek::geek::geek:
Congrats on not over complicating it. ;)

#8 ·
Not sure why you would need to jack anything, but once you have them fitted properly, it shouldn't take more than a minute per side to mount them the next time. The chains I use on my farm tractors are too heavy to lift over by hand so I hook them on the lugs behind the wheel and drive ahead so the tires pull them over and around, these usually take 2 minutes per side as I have to place each of the cross chains so they are not caught in the lugs crooked.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.