Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My case has very old and severely weather checked tires that will soon need replacing, the rears have fairly worn treads :eek: , I also have chains on the rears :wink: . So I am trying to stay ahead of the curve. I am not interested in turf tires, as this baby is meant to work hard :thumbsup: and I have and will be taking her into my little patch of forest from time to time to gather wood.
:chopwood:

Currently...
The rears are Firestone 27x8.50-15 all terrain field & road's
The fronts are Firestone 5.70-8 transport speed king's

Any recommendations?

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
silvertogold said:
My case has very old and severely weather checked tires that will soon need replacing, the rears have fairly worn treads :eek: , I also have chains on the rears :wink: . So I am trying to stay ahead of the curve. I am not interested in turf tires, as this baby is meant to work hard :thumbsup: and I have and will be taking her into my little patch of forest from time to time to gather wood.
:chopwood:

Currently...
The rears are Firestone 27x8.50-15 all terrain field & road's
The fronts are Firestone 5.70-8 transport speed king's

Any recommendations?
I would definitely recommend ag treads on the rear if you can find some in the correct size--I haven't seen them on the few sites I've looked at. I would NOT recommend the skid steer type tires unless you're going to use it primarily on hard surfaces otherwise you'll need chains.

I'd stick with the narrow tires on the front just for ease of steering. Wider front tires would be a bear to steer without power steering.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
then I do a google search for "ag tires for tractors 27x8.50" all I get are skid steer / loader tires, any suggestions of brands I can search for?

I don't know the difference between ag and skid steer tires, other than I'm guess ag tires are softer and rounder?

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I haven't done an exhaustive search for ag tires in the size you have but I have been unsuccessful to date. Ag tires have the deep angled treads typically seen on farm tractors and will give excellent traction in most conditions. The skid steer tires have a much shallower tread but were the standard OEM tires on most of the loaders without backhoes. The backhoes apparently came with the ag style tires standard but the size is a bit different. The ag tires seem to only be available in wider widths, i.e. 10.5 or 12 as opposed to 8.5 so you either have to determine if they can be mounted on your existing rims or face the prospect of buying new, wider rims. I imagine a dealer could sell you a set of tires and rims but make sure you're sitting down when you see the price.

I ended up installing chains on my loader to improve traction and they worked quite well in winter conditions but are too bumpy to use on hard surfaces. The chains I purchased are heavy duty chains (skid steer) and required wheel spaces to clear the fenders on the inside.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.