Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've was looking at a 4020 listed on e-bay today and noticed that the 60" deck had a lot of black scuff markings apparently from the front tires of the tractor. Is this an indicator that something was out of adjustment? Is there a design issue? I suppose the tires may have been the wrong size but that seems unlikely. Just asking as a point of interest and to see if there is an adjustment I should check on my tractor.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
In my opinion, there are three explanations for this and a possibility of a fourth. :lol:

1. The Operator has smacked both front wheels into immovable objects and twisted the front axle rearward at the bottom, thus bringing the front tires closer to the deck.

2. Not only does the axle pin have a lot of slop in it but the axle guide plates are wallowed outward, allowing the axle to move back and forth enough to allow the front tires to hit the deck.

3. The owner has installed 18.00 front tires instead of the 16.00's that are OEM.

4. A combination of any two or all three of the above.

NO... there is no adjustment but there is a fix.

!. Put the correct tires on the front rims.

2. Replace the axle pin.. Bush the front axle if needed.

3. Straighten the axle guide plates and if need be.... shim the slot.

4. Keep people who don't know how to drive, OFF the damn tractor. :sidelaugh:

EDIT..

It also could be huge amounts of wear in the Mule harness for the deck that is letting it wander around every time a corner is turned.

·
Ingersoll Dealer
4,328 Posts
So far, all of the 60" decks I have encountered show evidence of the tire contacting the front of the deck. In short, this appears to be normal in my experience. An outcome of how tightly located these are in the wheelbase ...

Certainly not oversized tires required, but of course that would make it worse.

One of the other dealers who has more long term experience with new Ingersoll sales might comment on if this occurs as brand new, or if it results from mule drive looseness over time.

We have put 2 new RM60 decks in service this year, on new tractors. I will seek feedback from the customers just for record here.

Brian

·
Tractor Whisper
3,703 Posts
Brain I purchase 446 1974 model that has radius arms mounted under steps with U brackets to front axle rubber seat bushing used as cushion front back axle with fender washer bolt size 3/8 through axle. Front axle on this old tractor don't walk are what called axle steer. I be makeing this mod to other tractors soon.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Hydriv said:
EDIT..

It also could be huge amounts of wear in the Mule harness for the deck that is letting it wander around every time a corner is turned.
Found considerable improvement by removing the frame mounted pins that support the front mounting plate and substituting bolts.
Compensates for wear in the "C" portion of the plate and locks it in a vertical position. This keeps the mule frame as far rearward as possible. The leveling devices and belt tension both conspire to push/pull the mule forward.
This is not to say that you can ignore the slop in the lift links etc.
JMO :wave:

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Yes. All of previously mentioned things. My short wheel based 444 rubbed front AND rear on its 48" deck when I picked it up. Axle bent, hanger bracket pin and bolt locations worn. Replacing pins with bolts and snugging everything up worked wonders. Front still rubs but not too bad. A belt another inch longer would fix that.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is a photo of the rubbing I referred to. Not sure if you'll find any clues in it to help diagnose the true casue or not.

Edit: I checked the post and don't expect that any of you will be able to detect anything from a photo that small. I'll see if I can find out what went wrong and retry.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Willowmaster said:
Not sure if you'll find any clues in it to help diagnose the true casue or not.
As Blondie & Rockdog pointed out, it`s most likely a combination of ALL the items mentioned. All of those conditions are absolutely common on these machines.
It`s a perfect example of compound error. And as Brian mentions, it`s seemingly endemic on 60" decks. " Nature of the Beast" :wave:

·
Ingersoll Dealer
4,328 Posts
Got confirmation today that new decks on new tractors seem not to touch ... a multitude of wear points exist and may conspire to the inevitable ... polished steel on the front edge of the deck.

I do know for sure that one 60" we were working with ... an older deck ... did touch the tires on a new tractor.

Brian

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
There was a significant change in the Mule harness between the original 60 inch deck and the revised harness that came after. As I understand it, the first one was a real pain to take on and off as well. Perhaps it is this harness that was on the deck you were working on, Brian.

·
Ingersoll Dealer
4,328 Posts
I recall the J48's being quite different in the carriage/tow bracket.

Most of my experience is with M48's and RM60's, which are pretty similar in their mounting.

The 'older deck on a new tractor' was an older RM60 on a brand new 4023 ... and it touched the tires.

Entirely possible it is even within range of build variation, then compounded with wear.

Brian

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.