Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided I am going to put tri-ribs on the front, that is a given, but what are your thoughts on rear rubber? I was thinking of putting a set of R4s on my 444 as I have seen how they fair on my fathers Kubota. I know there is obviously a good size difference between the two machines, but the heavy Japanese tractor has yet to do a number on his lawn after 6 summers. Do they make a decent R4 tire that will fit the stock 16 inch rims? What are all your thoughts on R4s in comparison to Ags?

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
The old phrase "Different horses for different courses" certainly applies when choosing tires.

R-1's have a deep, biting tread pattern that is designed to find traction in soft fields.

R-4's have a wider, flatter bar tread that sorta works on off-road applications but also provides reasonable traction on hard surfaces such as asphalt. The R-4 is a compromise tire that tries to work well in all situations but doesn't really shine in either one. But the tread design will last longer on hard surfaces than what an R-1 pattern will and that's one of the reasons they are used on construction machinery.

Bottom line here is YOU. What are YOU going to use this 444 for? If it is going to spend most of its time in the garden or in the muddy woods hauling out firewood, then R-1's are the best choice. If you won't be running in mud or the garden, then the R-4's will work fine.

I have no suggestions about 16" rubber. Skid steers use 16.5 or 15". Maybe you will have to find some 15" rims with the correct offset and bolt pattern if you want to run R-4's.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
In my opinion,I like the R-4 tires better than the R-1 tire,both in looks and the way they perform on different surfaces.Also ,they don't seem to tear up the lawn as bad as the R-1 does.

Maynard :canada:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.