Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1979 444 14hp kohler gets hot when it is running. No suprise right. But should it get so hot that you have to move your legs as far back away from the motor as possible, to keep your skin from getting burned by radiant heat. Even the brake pedal is so hot that you cannot push on the brake for more than a second or two (bare foot of corse). Is this one of those vavle gap issues I read about on here from time to time? Do they have some kind of heat deflectors that can be installed to keep the heat off your legs?

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
I can't speak for what goes on in the USA but here in Ontario, Canada... the owner of a lawn care company that allowed an employee to operate outdoor power equipment while having bare feet would face fines for safety violations. So... it's not "bare feet, of course", as you suggest. No one should be running any type of lawn cutting machinery without proper safety footwear..........unless they have a yearning to become an amputee.

There are heat deflectors on the Onan powered tractors but not on the Kohler powered models. Perhaps your engine IS running too hot. Performing regular maintenance is more than making sure that the engine runs, it also has to do with making sure the engine is running properly so that it runs at the correct temperature. Setting valve lash, point gap, plug gap, cleaning the cooling fins, making sure the intake screen is not blocked even partially, keeping the exhaust system OEM, the carburetor clean and adjust properly etc, etc, all go hand-in-hand to keep the temperature down. And that includes keeping the entire block and underside of the oil pan clean as well as using the correct oil to lubricate the engine because oil also plays a part in cooling an engine.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Put your boots on and check, in this order:

1) With engine off (I know, but you WERE mowing barefoot) make sure the blades aren't binding

2) Make sure timing is not retarded

3)Check valve lash-though I doubt this is the case, it wouldn't run right if they were THAT far out.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
My '72 444 (exhaust on RH side outside of hood) does blow pretty 'hot' to the right ankle after its warmed up and running uphill. I'd assume it would feel very hot with bare feet/sandles on. The engine cooling air exits to the rh side of the machine and the hood then deflects it downward - directly at the RH footrest area. I really only notice it while running uphill when the governer has opened the throttle under load. It also does not do it when the hood is removed.

Make sure all of your engine tin is in place and completely free of debris. When I bought mine the entire machine was covered in oil soaked dirk/grime including inside the air intake screen to the point a third of the holes were plugged. I'd make sure the exhaust and head gasket arent leaking either.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This unit has just been rebuilt and no build up on anything. The whole unit is completely clean. I'll double check the points and plug gap. The unit runs like a top but there is a little spark knock from time to time. I would just hate to ware anything more than a pair of shorts (with multipal packets, not just one) when cutting grass.

·
Administrator
3,283 Posts
Case/Ingersoll put a heat shield on Kohlers that is not a Kohler part. Check the parts book, the part number is C26985. A fresh rebuild will run hotter than normal until it settles in. It could also be running lean and I recommend 89 or 91 pump posted octane fuel.
Bob MacGregor in CT :mrgreen: :mowlawn:

·
Registered
877 Posts
I haven't seen any resolve on this issue but, while looking at "Timely Tips" in the most excellent tech section here, I ran across a heat deflector tip on the last page. If that Kohler doesn't have the correct Case deflectors that were used starting 1976 it would cause "hotfoot". Older tractors with this problem can be upgraded. I don't know if the parts are still available or if they would have to be procured from a used parts source. :ugeek:

·
Registered
58 Posts
xfolkboat said:
Put your boots on and check, in this order:

1) With engine off (I know, but you WERE mowing barefoot) make sure the blades aren't binding

2) Make sure timing is not retarded

3)Check valve lash-though I doubt this is the case, it wouldn't run right if they were THAT far out.
passive aggressive much ? :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh:

This forum is great.

I try to see the humor where and when I can.

Seriously, BOOTS FIRST, then undershorts. Always in that order.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.