Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello. New here. I bought a 1973 case 220 (advertised as a 222). A few questions. Does the I emblem belong on the hood? I thought Ingersoll came later. Does the cab belong on this model and is this a 1973 220? (Is the plate correct)

Attachments

· Registered
1,130 Posts
The emblem on the hood looks incorrect to me, (but I don't own a 220). From the serial number it would appear to be a 1974 model 220. The tractor would appear to match the serial #.

Others will be along with more knowledge but that's my 2 cents.

Welcome to the forum! It looks like you have a good snow removal machine.

· Registered
659 Posts
I'm not an expert on cabs, but I think that is the correct style for that year.

The Ingersoll "I" emblem on the hood is definitely not correct for your tractor. Neither is the plastic trim piece surrounding the headlights ... that was something Ingersoll added starting with the 3000/4000 series in 1989.

I don't think the tractors in that year range originally had any sort of emblem on the front of the hood. Somewhere along the way (later 70's, early 80's ?), they did add a stick-on rectangular plastic "CASE" emblem between the headlights. Then around 1987 or so it was changed to the Ingersoll "I" emblem (which was stuck directly to the hood prior to the addition of the plastic headlight trim panel in 89).

· Registered
1,786 Posts
Yeh Ray,

It appears as though the "I" emblem and the plastic trim piece are as correct for later Ingersoll tractors, not the CASE tractors.

The Orange and yellow "CASE's" had a black painted grill all the way to the top of that area where the headlights mount. It always bugged me when people repaint those hoods orange, or Power Red, and don't paint the grill area Black. I usually paint the whole hood Power Red, then tape them off and get a good coverage of Black to cover the grill area. I usually tape the back of that grill area tight with newspaper, or some kind of paper so the black does bleed through to the inside of the hood. That makes them look that much sharper when done.

This tractor above would have been ID as a CASE and model with the Decals.

I am not sure that Case was using a CAB that early in production, but it fits and looks nice, so who cares?!!

· Registered
751 Posts
I had a early Case 444 tractor that come with a cab, I would say that the cab and grill come from a later tractor with door latches, my cab has the accordion type doors, and my tractor had a louvered metal stamped grill, I still have the hood and grill, as the guy made a different setup after he bought it. .......Curt

· Ingersoll Dealer
1,569 Posts
The emblem on the hood looks incorrect to me, (but I don't own a 220). From the serial number it would appear to be a 1974 model 220. The tractor would appear to match the serial #.

Others will be along with more knowledge but that's my 2 cents.

Welcome to the forum! It looks like you have a good snow removal machine.
Yes, the tractor does appear to be a 1974 as it has the pto lever on the LH side of the dash tower (1st year) but still a generator light rather than an ammeter which a 1975 would have.

Hood is a little puzzling, looks like it is original and correct but someone has added the plastic bezel around the headlights from a later model for some reason.

The K1 cab is a later model but no different other than color and door design.

Bob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts