Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Administrator
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum, but posting under workshop seemed even less correct.

I have owned one Case or another since 1982. Until I joined this forum I was ignorant of the fact that such a thing as a maintenance jack even existed. :facepalm: Today a bought a Mojack EZ at Tractor Supply for less than two bills.

It's (your favorite expletive here) great! :trink:

What did I do without one? Answer: Lot's of bad stuff. :twisted:
For one, I drove over my deck every time I mounted or dismounted it from the tractor.
Worst of all, I neglected keeping my blades sharp because it was a PITA to remove them from the deck with the mower mounted to the tractor.

I can't recommend this accessory enough - whatever brand/make/model you choose - If you don't have one save up and get one!

John

Reactions: TLD89

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Loader forks work well for lifting stuff like this but I've used a sling attached to the front axle to hold the front end. I like this "drive on" design and will have to fab up an attachment to slide on the forks that will hold the wheels like this one. Hmmm, if I make two then I can use a loader to lift each end of the tractor and have full unobstructed access! :sidelaugh:

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
All kidding aside, the item suggested by John is certainly a worthwhile addition to the garage of anyone owning a lawn or garden tractor because it affords a very safe way to raise and hold the machine during various maintenance procedures.

Thanks John, for posting this thread. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Hydriv said:
Real men just pick the front of the tractor up with their right hand and slide the deck underneath with their left hand. :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh:
umm... I thought that was standard practice? Now you tell me there's a easier way? grrr.

·
Registered
261 Posts
My brother and I were taught to work smarter not harder.
I use the loader to get the groceries out of the truck and to the back door.
I'm with Bart, I want just those wheel brackets for my loader.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I might be a little to safety- wise, but I would never climb under that tractor. The stand appears that it may be quite narrow and it's rated for 300 lbs.

I think that a Case with mower would be getting close to 300 lbs. :headscratcher:

It would be easy on the back for greasing the front wheel bearings. :thumbsup:

I also wouldn't work under a tractor that was held up by a front end loader. :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh:

·
Registered
877 Posts
I just bought a motorcycle jack to change the tires on my Harley. (Piece of metal in road cut both to cords). As soon as the bike is off the lift, I'm gonna see if that works on my 444. Rated at 1500 lbs. and lifts a 2005 Electra Glide Classic with no problem.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Stewart said:
I think that a Case with mower would be getting close to 300 lbs. :headscratcher:
Wow, I did not notice that. Hell, even my YS4500 is 505 pounds. I'm assuming just picking up the front is lighter, but I would feel better with a higher rating than that.

The MoJack EZ Lawn Mower Lift is custom designed to provide an easy way to lift and secure your mower. The MoJack EZ is adjustable to fit most residential Zero Turn and lawn tractors.

Lifts 300 lb. up to 24 in.
Fits virtually every mower with an outside front wheel measurement of 35-1/2 in. to 47-1/2 in.
Allows safe and efficient changing of mower blades and performing routine maintenance
Easily raises mower with one hand or a power drill
Folds flat to just 6 in. for easy storage
Limited lifetime warranty
MoJack EZ is ideal for blade sharpening, belt replacement and debris removal. Safer and more convenient than car ramps or blocks, it features a screw jack and safety-lock pin system to prevent the machine from slipping or becoming unstable while performing maintenance.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
The higher you raise the front end of a tractor, the lighter it becomes thanks to the weight being transferred by gravity to the rear wheels. If you stand the tractor vertical, then there is no weight on the front wheels. On top of that, everyone who is in business of manufacturing such items, automatically build a "safety margin" into their product. Quite often, that safety margin is 100 percent meaning that a jack rated for 300 pounds of lift capacity will not fail until the 600 pound mark has been exceeded. This is done to cover things such as normal wear and tear plus margins in tolerance levels during the manufacturing process along with the potential of flaws in the materials supplied by outside sources.

No one builds a jack with a 300 LB rating that will instantly fail if asked to lift 320 LBS.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
There's no doubt that the tractor gets lighter. :thumbsup:

My main concern is the width of the lift which seems to be a bit narrow.

It's advertized for Zero turns and LT'S, :headscratcher: We are lifting GT'S. :thumbsup:

My craftsman's front end with a 2 cylinder Briggs and 42" mower is about the same weight as my Case's Deck. :trink:

We all have different levels of Safety and I sometimes use a Jackall. :trink:

·
Registered
261 Posts
MoJack makes a heavier duty lift that is rated at 600#. John just got the cheap one that TSC sells. The design is no different than my Gray air bumper jack and it will hold up a truck to work under. I don't think the width of the jack would be an issue if your on level ground since the stance of the tractor is what would provide the stability.
If someone was using the jack on a hill then a Darwin Award would probably be in their future.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Hydriv said:
The higher you raise the front end of a tractor, the lighter it becomes thanks to the weight being transferred by gravity to the rear wheels. If you stand the tractor vertical, then there is no weight on the front wheels. On top of that, everyone who is in business of manufacturing such items, automatically build a "safety margin" into their product. Quite often, that safety margin is 100 percent meaning that a jack rated for 300 pounds of lift capacity will not fail until the 600 pound mark has been exceeded. This is done to cover things such as normal wear and tear plus margins in tolerance levels during the manufacturing process along with the potential of flaws in the materials supplied by outside sources.

No one builds a jack with a 300 LB rating that will instantly fail if asked to lift 320 LBS.
I like this... well said. Great minds think alike.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Hydriv said:
Real men just pick the front of the tractor up with their right hand and slide the deck underneath with their left hand. :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh:
Personally, I always LIFT with my left hand. I've got more dexterity with my right hand...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.