Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I,m having a problem with high gear in forward,it seems to lose speed but not rpms .I have checked the spool linkage and that seems ok, could it need a spool rebuild kit installed or should I be looking for something else. HELP, I,m not much on hydraulics, Thanks oldfrank.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
oldfrank said:
I,m having a problem with high gear in forward,it seems to lose speed but not rpms .I have checked the spool linkage and that seems ok, could it need a spool rebuild kit installed or should I be looking for something else. HELP, I,m not much on hydraulics, Thanks oldfrank.
OF,
In order for us to help you.............you must help us by including the model number and serial number of your tractor......every time you ask a question about it. That way, we know how your tractor was built because we can consult the Parts Manual for it. :thumbsup:

Hi Range is a "travel gear", not a "work gear". It is primarily there to move the tractor from A to B at a higher rate of ground speed providing the ground is relatively flat.

In order to figure out what's wrong with your tractor, certain components must be ruled out, ONE BY ONE. The first component is the oil in the hydraulic system. If you have NOT drained the system since you purchased this tractor, then I suggest that you begin with that. If you go to the FAQ's section of the site, you will find two articles of interest. One has to do with the correct oil choices and the other instructs you on how to PROPERLY drain the hydraulic system.

If this procedure does not solve your problem, then you need a helper to sit on the tractor and follow your instructions while you lay under the tractor with a trouble-light. With no key in the ignition (safety first) , you must get them to push the travel lever slowly to full forward while you watch the actual SPOOL that slides in and out of the travel/lift valve's body. When they tell you that they have pushed the travel lever as far as it will go, then you must try to move the actual spool further in the direction it was traveling. Do the same procedure for reverse and then do it again and again a few times just to make sure. The spool MUST move all the way in the body of the travel valve or you will not get all of the oil flow needed to make the tractor reach full speed in both directions.

Years of wear and tear on the linkage creates free play and this must be dealt with if you want proper control over this aspect of the tractor. If you find that there is NO free play in the linkage whatsoever, then the condition of the hydraulic pump must now be determined. In order to do this, you need a gauge that is capable of reading 5000 PSI and is glycerin filled. The gauge must be connected to the drain/test port located on the underside of the travel valve.

Rather than go into detail regarding the test, please advise on the first two items above so that we know if the test is needed.

As for the travel spool, if it is not leaking then it is more than likely OK. Replacing the O-rings will not solve this problem.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hydriv said:
oldfrank said:
OF,
In order for us to help you.............you must help us by including the model number and serial number of your tractor......every time you ask a question about it. That way, we know how your tractor was built because we can consult the Parts Manual for it. :thumbsup:

Hi Range is a "travel gear", not a "work gear". It is primarily there to move the tractor from A to B at a higher rate of ground speed providing the ground is relatively flat.

In order to figure out what's wrong with your tractor, certain components must be ruled out, ONE BY ONE. The first component is the oil in the hydraulic system. If you have NOT drained the system since you purchased this tractor, then I suggest that you begin with that. If you go to the FAQ's section of the site, you will find two articles of interest. One has to do with the correct oil choices and the other instructs you on how to PROPERLY drain the hydraulic system.

If this procedure does not solve your problem, then you need a helper to sit on the tractor and follow your instructions while you lay under the tractor with a trouble-light. With no key in the ignition (safety first) , you must get them to push the travel lever slowly to full forward while you watch the actual SPOOL that slides in and out of the travel/lift valve's body. When they tell you that they have pushed the travel lever as far as it will go, then you must try to move the actual spool further in the direction it was traveling. Do the same procedure for reverse and then do it again and again a few times just to make sure. The spool MUST move all the way in the body of the travel valve or you will not get all of the oil flow needed to make the tractor reach full speed in both directions.

Years of wear and tear on the linkage creates free play and this must be dealt with if you want proper control over this aspect of the tractor. If you find that there is NO free play in the linkage whatsoever, then the condition of the hydraulic pump must now be determined. In order to do this, you need a gauge that is capable of reading 5000 PSI and is glycerin filled. The gauge must be connected to the drain/test port located on the underside of the travel valve.

Rather than go into detail regarding the test, please advise on the first two items above so that we know if the test is needed.

As for the travel spool, if it is not leaking then it is more than likely OK. Replacing the O-rings will not solve this problem.
It is model 195 ,serial# 9627635 ,Kohler K301A ,serial# C68733 spec# 4770B. I did check on the travel of the spool, it seems to move all the way back and the oil is new. There is on leakage anywhere of oil . Thanks oldfrank

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
OF,

As you say, you are not knowledgable when it comes to hydraulics. Therefore, it is important for you to understand the following.

1. The type of oil you have in the hydraulic system is of utmost importance. The wrong oil will not transmit the engine power to the rear wheels. If you are not 100 percent sure that the oil in hydraulic system is either 15W40 or 20W40 or 20W50 or 30W MOTOR OIL, then you must drain out what's in there now and replace it with one of those blends.

2. When it comes to the spool in the travel valve, it must move all the way in and all the way out. Any free play is too much. You have to make sure that there is no free play in the linkage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.