Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner

Tractor tires vs. truck tires on your high wheel

6K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  screamineagle66 
#1 ·
Is there any reason why - other than aesthetics - why truck tires wouldn't work just as well, maybe better, than tractor tires on our 16" rims ? I have 6 ply Titans on my tractor for work, but if..........scratch that.... when I add another high wheel to the fleet I have wondered about using a mud type truck tire for a normal use tire, or one that you would add chains to.

It seems like a 225/75/16 would be a very similar size, and tractor tires are hard to find in anything higher than 4 ply. You can find truck tires in 8 and 10 ply very easily.

Thoughts ?

#2 ·
The only bad thing with the high ply tires is they ride very rough. You can have 0 psi of air in them and they don't squish at all. (no cushion) Otherwise I guess they would work great. I heard of someone that put studded snow tires on his.

#3 ·
I assume it would work, but, a NEW truck tire with a suitably aggressive tread will cost as much or more than ags.
If you find a used set, then it`s a reasonable option

I`ve read posts that opine that truck tires wear quickly on tractors, have no idea if that is true

#4 ·
245 75 16 are the same height as 8.00 x 16 I was looking into a set of goodyear wranglers at walmart. I was thinking that they would prolly work pretty good.

#5 ·
I run a set of 245's on my truck in the winter, so I stood one next to a spare Case wheel & tire when I was changing them. The 245's are taller and wider than the 8 - 16's, about an inch each way.

Good used truck tires are plentiful, my property has some rough areas and I poke holes in tractor tires now and then. I still think an 8 or 10 ply truck tire would hold up better, and for tractors that aren't show trucks a good used set of truck tires would be pretty inexpensive and more durable.

#6 ·
There's no doubt they'd be far more durable and there's no reason for you to not mount one up on a rim to test fit it on your tractor. If you have no clearance issues, then proceed with mounting up the mate to it and then take the tractor for a test run.

To really know how happy you will be with these tires will depend on how you use the tractor, where you use it and for how long at a time. The OEM turf tires are 2 ply for good reason. The sidewalls are the only "suspension" in the tractor and even that small bit of give makes a huge difference in "ride quality".

Everything in life is a trade-off and if you have conditions so adverse that 10 or 12 ply rated tires are all that works for you, there's no downside in giving them a try, other than the costs. Let us know how it works out.

#7 ·
I can certainly see where a softer - via less sidewall plies - tire would give a better ride. For my use, that would not be of any value. I don't mow with my Case, although if I could find a small bush hog I would. So - the durability is a plus.

I don't have any specific plans to do it, just something that popped into my head............

Speaking of small bush hogs, anyone ever seen one with category 0 spacing ??

Thanks for the input guys.

#8 ·
Case made a four foot hydraulic bush hog mower that is towed because it is too long to lift with a three point without putting a massive counter-weight on the front that would make for hard steering when the hog is being used. They do appear on e-Bay now and then as used units.

#11 ·
My thoughts are to take that 3pth plan on this site, though slightly beefed up and convert a regular 42" deck to hydraulic. Hook it to the 3pt and plug the hydraulic motor in to the tiller valve. Should be a lot less buggering around to hook up and unhook than the mid mount setup. Don't forget to trim up that chute that tends to hang up the long cuttings so they exit a little better. Makes for better loading on m 5x10 trailer as well. Can't imagine what the thought was having that thin steel brace on the bottom of the chute when it could've been supported stronger around the top and sides.
Always room for improvement
Chop whatcha got!
Chris
I wonder what is the correct spelling for chute, shoot, shut?
Princess auto has 2x6 cylinders, how'd they work on the 3pth? maybe just hook directly to the top lift arm on one side at 1/2 the radius of the long arm and get a foot of lift?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.