Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Administrator
1973 Case 444, 1974 Case 644, 1976 Case 446, 1977 Case 646
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm ready for Winter! Cleaned the shop and moved the summer tractors into my attached lean to shed. Moved my 446 with snow caster and cab into my shop and a 444 winter project. This 444 was given to me and has set in my lean to for close to ten years. This past summer a guy posted on here that he had a hydro bagger for free so I made to trip to Erie Pa. to pick it up. So the 444 looks rough but it appears that everything is there. I have a mowing deck for it and the hydro bagger will complete it nicely.

Keep the Peace
Harry

Attachments

·
Administrator
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I started to get into the 444 winter project more recently. Drained rear differential oil which had some water in it. Drained the hydraulic oil which looked like it had not been drained in awhile. Engine oil was drained when I first brought it home. I pulled the differential cover and with a telescopic magnet check for filings and found none. Checked end play on axles and they were in spec. Checked torque on blots all good there to. Filled with 80w-90w gear oil, new gasket and bolted the cover back on. I've been cleaning the rear differential and the fame which had some non Case orange paint on it. It comes off with a little elbow grease and lacquer thinner. I still have to do the rear rims and I'll bolt them back on. The pile of parts will be repainted Desert Sunset before reassembly. I'm anxious to fire this Kohler up but I do know there is a mouse nest in the flywheel housing. So I need to remove the cover clean and inspect wires if they have been chewed on. With the holidays approaching quickly and the honey do list growing it will be after Christmas before I fire up the engine.

Keep the Peace
Harry

Attachments

·
Administrator
4,372 Posts
Buddy, buddy, buddy, The honey dew list can wait. If fact, that means you should spend even more time in the shop. Tell her you have a potential money making machine once it is operational and it can't generate income in pieces. [ Apparently they seem to like money]

·
Administrator
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Buddy, buddy, buddy, The honey dew list can wait. If fact, that means you should spend even more time in the shop. Tell her you have a potential money making machine once it is operational and it can't generate income in pieces. [ Apparently they seem to like money]
It's mostly getting ready for the Holiday season Dundee. As I'm getting older I don't seem to have the same energy as I use to. So the day passes watching grandchildren and helping the wife who is getting older too and needs help. We eat dinner and I use to go out to the shop and work on my projects. Now I just relax and say I'll get to it tomorrow. Maybe I just need to push myself more and get er done!

Keep the Peace
Harry

·
Premium Member
3,123 Posts
It used to aggravate my wife when I did not come in for supper when she had it ready. Because if I do I am done for the night, I have always been better off getting something done till dark then coming in for supper.

Cheers,
Gordy

·
Administrator
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It used to aggravate my wife when I did not come in for supper when she had it ready. Because if I do I am done for the night, I have always been better off getting something done till dark then coming in for supper.

Cheers,
Gordy
Sounds like a intelligent man speaking from experience.

Keep the Peace
Harry

·
Administrator
4,372 Posts
You guys need some cows to milk. We have supper after some feeding at around 5:30 and then go to milk at a little after 6 and finish feeding at 8:00. Burns off some of supper and usually leaves some ambition to work in the shop after, if the field work is caught up.

·
Premium Member
3,123 Posts
You guys need some cows to milk. We have supper after some feeding at around 5:30 and then go to milk at a little after 6 and finish feeding at 8:00. Burns off some of supper and usually leaves some ambition to work in the shop after, if the field work is caught up.

Not NO but HELLL NOOOO. We moved off the farm when I was 7. I worked for a local farmer from 7th grade through graduation. Mostly baling hay, but some tractor work, and milking 4-5 times a year when he had a wedding or whatever. I always felt sorry for him being basically a slave to the cows. You got to love what you are doing ;)

Cheers,
Gordy

·
Administrator
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I picked up a H-54 utility blade yesterday and it fit into the back of my Jeep. I got it at an excellent price and met a very nice guy to deal with. He also has some other parts at a great price that I'm planning on getting in the spring. I confess I'm addicted!

Keep the Peace
Harry

Attachments

·
Administrator
4,372 Posts
Looks pretty straight! Throw some sand at it and squirt a little protection and you will be good to go. Although,,, the edge looks like it's had better days,,, but knowing Harry the welder, I am sure he already has a nice strip of Hardox to put in it's place.

·
Administrator
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Looks pretty straight! Throw some sand at it and squirt a little protection and you will be good to go. Although,,, the edge looks like it's had better days,,, but knowing Harry the welder, I am sure he already has a nice strip of Hardox to put in it's place.
I was looking at that edge yesterday Dundee. It has seen better days and needs some attention. I am planning on using this blade for just a little of snow, I would sooner use the 446 with the cab and caster on it. Well at least until I find another cab for the 444, at a decent price that isn't to far to fetch.

Keep the Peace
Harry

·
Registered
101 Posts
My dad was really good at planning & pacing projects. He never got consumed with "summit fever". When he finished a project it looked finished. Not a load of scrap and tools setting around, and he accomplished so much. Once he started a project he stayed with it until it was finished. After he retired he allotted ample time for naps, grand kids, honey do's and he still got more done than I did. That's the model I'm trying to implement.

peace to all
caveboy

·
Administrator
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I started assembling some of the painted parts the other day on the 444. It always gets more exciting when you see it coming together. This tractor sat in my lean-to for five years after I found the exhaust valve had so much carbon under it there was no compression. I decarboned, adjusted the valves and adjusted the points. A mouse got up in the flywheel housing and built a nest, pic #1. I've had almost everything off this tractor and don't expect anymore surprises, but you never know.

Keep the Peace
Harry

Attachments

1 - 20 of 47 Posts