Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,127 Posts
It used to aggravate my wife when I did not come in for supper when she had it ready. Because if I do I am done for the night, I have always been better off getting something done till dark then coming in for supper.

Cheers,
Gordy

·
Premium Member
3,127 Posts
You guys need some cows to milk. We have supper after some feeding at around 5:30 and then go to milk at a little after 6 and finish feeding at 8:00. Burns off some of supper and usually leaves some ambition to work in the shop after, if the field work is caught up.

Not NO but HELLL NOOOO. We moved off the farm when I was 7. I worked for a local farmer from 7th grade through graduation. Mostly baling hay, but some tractor work, and milking 4-5 times a year when he had a wedding or whatever. I always felt sorry for him being basically a slave to the cows. You got to love what you are doing ;)

Cheers,
Gordy

·
Premium Member
3,127 Posts
I have real good luck with "Tomcat" gel attractant. I don't use poisons with cats around I'd be worried the cats would find and eat the poisoned mouse.

Cheers,
Gordy

·
Premium Member
3,127 Posts
Peanut butter has worked for me. At the new house I had a bunch of ground squirrels. I found jamming a black oil sunflower seed under the metal tab on rat traps worked well for them. I also got many mice that way. As a bonus, the sunflower seeds don't get funky or attract ants like peanut butter will. With ground squirrels I found you need to stake the traps down. They can run off with them otherwise.

Two shop cats and a few well fed looking strays keep the mice out of my equipment. Cat's don't seem to take out the ground squirrels though.
My cats have all been good at getting gophers and chipmunks, moma's with babies are the best hunters ;) But then you have to find a home for the little ones to keep the wife from being one of those crazy cat ladies 😁 I had one stray kitten that I felt rubbing my ankle before I saw or heard it, it was around for 15 years. When it was young, I shot a chipmunk and gave it to her, she sniffed it and started to walk away :oops: I grabbed her and rubbed her nose in the bullet hole, she licked her nose a bit and started chomping on the chipmunk 🤓 Years later I saw her in a wrestling match with a big grey squirrel, it got away from her but not the Ruger ;) Then she was pissed that I would not give it to her, and she kept trying to take it while I was dressing it out. I had a board leaning against the lower roof and one night I heard some scuffing, I looked up to see her coming over the peak and down to the board, she grabbed the board with her front paws and swung her butt around and shimmied down to the ground and dropped a bat at my feet o_O

But I only gave her a half cup of cat food a day, enough to keep her around and leave her hungry enough to keep hunting (y)

Cheers,
Gordy

·
Premium Member
3,127 Posts
"But I only gave her a half cup of cat food a day, enough to keep her around and leave her hungry enough to keep hunting"

We had a stray adopt us a few yrs. ago. Vet guessed at 9 months old, Not starved but pretty thin. I fed him by the book. It never seemed to be enough for him. We watched him, stalk, kill and eat, 3 mice, in 30 minutes once. No presents, he ate them. He'd cruise the wood line and flower bed edges. Easy pickings I guess, for a cat. Chipmonks, all packed up and left too. Never saw him with a mole but I did see him shoulder deep in their runs, more than once.

Somebody shot him and did a bad job of it. We couldn't save him in time and he died in pain. I miss him and the service he did but I'm not getting another, until I can reliably keep him on our property. They have the electric fences for them but waiting for the tech to get better. The collars are still pretty big and the wireless versions, don't do well in hilly terrane.
My neighbor kind of good naturedly complained about my cat crossing the road to his place all the time. I told him there was nothing I could do to keep her home, but if she was doing damage over there he could shoot her. And that she had my place cleaned out, and his place was her new hunting ground, and that 90+% of the time she came from his place she was carrying a rodent. He looked shocked and said that was a good thing, and he would leave her alone. So when we get a replacement cat I take it over to him and introduce them so he knows it is not just another stray ;)

Cheers,
Gordy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts