Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Administrator
1973 Case 444, 1974 Case 644, 1976 Case 446, 1977 Case 646
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Lookin good Harry. 'Cept one thing, and I'll bet you only need one guess.
I keep thinking where else have these stinking little rodents gotten into. I have had traps set up in the shop for years and catch field mice with a little of peanut butter. I set up traps in the lean-to this fall and started catching voles and an occasional mouse. If I didn't remove the mouse ASAP the voles would eat the head off the mouse!

Keep the Peace
Harry

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
I keep thinking where else have these stinking little rodents gotten into. I have had traps set up in the shop for years and catch field mice with a little of peanut butter. I set up traps in the lean-to this fall and started catching voles and an occasional mouse. If I didn't remove the mouse ASAP the voles would eat the head off the mouse!

Keep the Peace
Harry
I know using peanut butter is really popular but honest to goodness, it has never worked for me. Nothing beats Velveeta, except a Cat. I also like the new poison bait stations. A lot safer for pets and other critters. Only mouse sized animals can get into them.

·
Premium Member
3,123 Posts
I have real good luck with "Tomcat" gel attractant. I don't use poisons with cats around I'd be worried the cats would find and eat the poisoned mouse.

Cheers,
Gordy

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Peanut butter has worked for me. At the new house I had a bunch of ground squirrels. I found jamming a black oil sunflower seed under the metal tab on rat traps worked well for them. I also got many mice that way. As a bonus, the sunflower seeds don't get funky or attract ants like peanut butter will. With ground squirrels I found you need to stake the traps down. They can run off with them otherwise.

Two shop cats and a few well fed looking strays keep the mice out of my equipment. Cat's don't seem to take out the ground squirrels though.

·
Administrator
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Thanks for the tip about the sunflower seeds, I've never tried them. I usually use Victor snap traps for the mice and I have lot a few. I think a leg gets caught and they drag them away. Probably under something where they rot away and stink. For ground squirrels I use a wire box trap and dispose of them behind the wood pile. I'll try the sunflower seeds instead of peanut butter which will attract ants.

Keep the Peace
Harry

·
Premium Member
3,123 Posts
Peanut butter has worked for me. At the new house I had a bunch of ground squirrels. I found jamming a black oil sunflower seed under the metal tab on rat traps worked well for them. I also got many mice that way. As a bonus, the sunflower seeds don't get funky or attract ants like peanut butter will. With ground squirrels I found you need to stake the traps down. They can run off with them otherwise.

Two shop cats and a few well fed looking strays keep the mice out of my equipment. Cat's don't seem to take out the ground squirrels though.
My cats have all been good at getting gophers and chipmunks, moma's with babies are the best hunters ;) But then you have to find a home for the little ones to keep the wife from being one of those crazy cat ladies 😁 I had one stray kitten that I felt rubbing my ankle before I saw or heard it, it was around for 15 years. When it was young, I shot a chipmunk and gave it to her, she sniffed it and started to walk away :oops: I grabbed her and rubbed her nose in the bullet hole, she licked her nose a bit and started chomping on the chipmunk 🤓 Years later I saw her in a wrestling match with a big grey squirrel, it got away from her but not the Ruger ;) Then she was pissed that I would not give it to her, and she kept trying to take it while I was dressing it out. I had a board leaning against the lower roof and one night I heard some scuffing, I looked up to see her coming over the peak and down to the board, she grabbed the board with her front paws and swung her butt around and shimmied down to the ground and dropped a bat at my feet o_O

But I only gave her a half cup of cat food a day, enough to keep her around and leave her hungry enough to keep hunting (y)

Cheers,
Gordy

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
"But I only gave her a half cup of cat food a day, enough to keep her around and leave her hungry enough to keep hunting"

We had a stray adopt us a few yrs. ago. Vet guessed at 9 months old, Not starved but pretty thin. I fed him by the book. It never seemed to be enough for him. We watched him, stalk, kill and eat, 3 mice, in 30 minutes once. No presents, he ate them. He'd cruise the wood line and flower bed edges. Easy pickings I guess, for a cat. Chipmonks, all packed up and left too. Never saw him with a mole but I did see him shoulder deep in their runs, more than once.

Somebody shot him and did a bad job of it. We couldn't save him in time and he died in pain. I miss him and the service he did but I'm not getting another, until I can reliably keep him on our property. They have the electric fences for them but waiting for the tech to get better. The collars are still pretty big and the wireless versions, don't do well in hilly terrane.

·
Premium Member
3,123 Posts
"But I only gave her a half cup of cat food a day, enough to keep her around and leave her hungry enough to keep hunting"

We had a stray adopt us a few yrs. ago. Vet guessed at 9 months old, Not starved but pretty thin. I fed him by the book. It never seemed to be enough for him. We watched him, stalk, kill and eat, 3 mice, in 30 minutes once. No presents, he ate them. He'd cruise the wood line and flower bed edges. Easy pickings I guess, for a cat. Chipmonks, all packed up and left too. Never saw him with a mole but I did see him shoulder deep in their runs, more than once.

Somebody shot him and did a bad job of it. We couldn't save him in time and he died in pain. I miss him and the service he did but I'm not getting another, until I can reliably keep him on our property. They have the electric fences for them but waiting for the tech to get better. The collars are still pretty big and the wireless versions, don't do well in hilly terrane.
My neighbor kind of good naturedly complained about my cat crossing the road to his place all the time. I told him there was nothing I could do to keep her home, but if she was doing damage over there he could shoot her. And that she had my place cleaned out, and his place was her new hunting ground, and that 90+% of the time she came from his place she was carrying a rodent. He looked shocked and said that was a good thing, and he would leave her alone. So when we get a replacement cat I take it over to him and introduce them so he knows it is not just another stray ;)

Cheers,
Gordy

·
Administrator
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I was trying to attract a stray cat into my area. So I took an old Styrofoam container I had and cut an opening in it and loaded it up with straw. I have seen tracks in the snow behind my shop but no takers in moving into the renovated home as of yet.

Keep the Peace
Harry

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
For ground squirrels I use a wire box trap and dispose of them behind the wood pile.
My shop cats were my daughters pets. They had to stay in the shop since I'm allergic to them. When she grew up and moved out, they stayed with me. To prevent them from being attacked by predators, I built a cage out of an old dog kennel behind the shop that's 30 feet long and 5 feet wide. There is a kennel in the shop as well so they don't tear anything up when I'm not there. The cat door goes between the shop and outdoor cages. It's a pretty good system. I'm amazed at how many critters they get while in the outdoor kennel. To get them back into the kennel when I'm done for the night, I simply feed them in there.

Ground squirrels - The rat traps work better for me than the box traps. I do have covers made for them to prevent birds or stray cats getting into them. A 3 sided box made from treated 1x6 with a piece of aluminum screen stapled over it does the trick. I wasn't sure if they would go into them but the draw of the bait is just too strong.

·
Administrator
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Today on my 444 winter project I installed spindle thrust bearings and washers for PMPS, purchased from Barneveld Imp. A great price and quality product, I'm very happy with their turn over time! Project was straight forward. Remove spindles and clean them up. Remove old washers and install thrust bearings and washers after greasing them. They seem to move easier but will have to wait and see results in action. If satisfied I'll probably do my other three tractors also. If anyone else has done this PMPS hack please respond with their results.

Keep the Peace
Harry

Attachments

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I did it to my 446 a few years ago. I noticed a small difference in steering ease right away. Now I'm just used to it. My 444 needs some attention to the front end. It steers much harder than the 446 but I feel it lived a much harder life before I got it.

My thought is every little bit helps.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
Today on my 444 winter project I installed spindle thrust bearings and washers for PMPS, purchased from Barneveld Imp. A great price and quality product, I'm very happy with their turn over time! Project was straight forward. Remove spindles and clean them up. Remove old washers and install thrust bearings and washers after greasing them. They seem to move easier but will have to wait and see results in action. If satisfied I'll probably do my other three tractors also. If anyone else has done this PMPS hack please respond with their results.

Keep the Peace
Harry
Harry, I did pretty extensive, (if shade tree) testing and documentation about upgrading the steering a few yrs. back.

As I recall, getting any slop out was primary. Also the realization that it was a "system". No single thing, was able to be pointed to and say, "that did the trick". The HVY duty center pin, was probably the primary improvement in one go. Then the greaseable heim joints. PMPS was actually kind of a let down, even though you'd think it would be like magic. It wasn't.

Bob had several suggestions that made good sense too. If your spindles are bent, or caked with dry grease, they're gonna bind, no matter what else you do.

He also noted that the part of the spindle that the bearing sits, aren't always perpendicular to the spindle. Taking the axle out, to measure how much out they were and then filing the bearing seat made some difference too. Its a system and it all has to work together. Any one thing out of whack, is going to affect overall performance.

Steering Mod testing, Part Deux

Probably the single biggest thing, is the tire tread choice. You can go through the whole system (which you should, because it will reduce wear on the more fragile parts) but if you put heavy tread tires on it, it isn't going to steer as easily as something less aggressive.

·
Administrator
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Winter project 444 update. I've been cleaning, inspecting and painting the hydra bagger. Mounted part of it today and the rest very soon. Getting ready to fire this tractor up in the next couple of weeks.

Keep the Peace
Harry

Attachments

·
Administrator
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Today I purchased some quick disconnects fittings for the hydro bagger hydraulic hoses. It's a place called the house of fittings and they have any fitting you can imagine.
I was always told to not apply pipe dope to hydraulic fittings. Today I purchased some pneumatic hydraulic sealant for those fittings. Do any members use this product on their hydraulic fittings?

Keep the Peace
Harry

Attachments

·
Ingersoll Dealer
1,513 Posts
Today I purchased some quick disconnects fittings for the hydro bagger hydraulic hoses. It's a place called the house of fittings and they have any fitting you can imagine.
I was always told to not apply pipe dope to hydraulic fittings. Today I purchased some pneumatic hydraulic sealant for those fittings. Do any members use this product on their hydraulic fittings?

Keep the Peace
Harry
I use a similar product made by loctite. As a reminder to those who don't work on hydraulics regularly, teflon tape is also a no no on hydraulic fittings.

Bob

·
Registered
6 Posts
Winter project 444 update. I've been cleaning, inspecting and painting the hydra bagger. Mounted part of it today and the rest very soon. Getting ready to fire this tractor up in the next couple of weeks.

Keep the Peace
Harry
Hi Harry, if that is the bagger you picked up from from us in Girard, it looks great. I hope it works as good as it looks when you get it going. Please let us know.
Ken & Kathy

21 - 40 of 47 Posts