Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to till the neighbors garden and took a shortcut that involves a pretty big hill. Luckily it's a smooth path and nothing got in the way on the way down :eek: ! Needless to say I got moving pretty good, and to make matters worse, I tried to use the brake! So, I started down the hill in low range, throttle at max, and travel control valve set to creep down the hill. Boy was I surprised. Is there a technique that will keep it from happening again? Oh, it's a 446-76 will a tiller on and about 100# on the front.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
What you encountered is called "runaway". Back in the 60's , Del Shannon sang about it. :sidelaugh:

It sounds like you had the right idea but something was lacking.

For sure, you must have the engine running wide open. There is a section on the dash decal where the travel lever resides that says RETARD. As you come to the crest of the hill, you must pull the travel lever into the RETARD area and keep your hand firmly on the lever at all times, If you apply the brakes, there is a spring that tries to pull the travel lever into neutral and that's one spot on the dial that you don't want to be. If the FORWARD RETARD is not adequate, then pull the travel lever quickly past Neutral and into the reverse RETARD spot for even more control.

You can also purchase a used Holding Valve Kit for your tractor and add it on. One of these kits will make your tractor very controllable on any grade.

For more information, go to our FAQ's and read some of the articles on this subject.

·
Registered
877 Posts
May want to seriously think about a holding valve. Look through the tech section at how the hydraulics work. It is a great lesson on the hydraulics for these GT's and have an excellent explanation of how it works.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Paul, I have the same issue worth my 1977 446. I have learned to deal with it for the time being but I need to do the holding valve option before the snow comes again. Its on my list of things to do but it keeps getting further down the list. :mad:

Just make sure your foot brake is in good working condition prior to going down a steep grade again. You will need it if all else fails mid flight.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
mikebramel said:
I dont know how well the Ingersoll control valves fit in there. But they usually go for next to nothing
I guess I must be looking in all the wrong places. On e-Bay, a travel/lift valve with the built in holding feature often bring as much or more than a holding valve kit. Where do you see them for "next to nothing"?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I think that is interesting. When I had that 226, I was looking what I could sell everything minus the motor for. Thought that the valve would go for pretty good money, like youre both saying. But didnt see them going for what I had hoped so just sold the whole thing complete

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, so it even gets more embarrassing I have a holding valve and it was dialed way back, but I had the travel control lever all the way up, I was controlling the speed with the holding valve. Sometimes I amaze myself. It's a wonder I'm still around. My wife wonders why I'm still around :facepalm: ! Thank you all, I will try it again, hopefully without as much excitement.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Paul446 said:
OK, so it even gets more embarrassing I have a holding valve and it was dialed way back, but I had the travel control lever all the way up, I was controlling the speed with the holding valve. Sometimes I amaze myself. It's a wonder I'm still around. My wife wonders why I'm still around :facepalm: ! Thank you all, I will try it again, hopefully without as much excitement.
Paul

How do you dial a holding valve ? I don't think I've ever seen an adjustment. Are you refering to an FCV ?

Stewart

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Paul446 said:
I agree with Stewart's post.

You are referring to a valve that is mounted on the right side of your dashboard's support column that has an L-shaped lever. That is NOT a holding valve and it's no wonder you lost control of the tractor if you were using that while descending a hill.

I suggest that you go to our Technical Library, Operator's Manuals, Onan powered tractors and then select the manual that coincides with the serial number of your tractor. You will find a section in ALL the OP Manuals that describes the procedure for hills.

Another good read is this one.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1036

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Had a chance to use the proper procedure on the same hill. Boy howdy does that make a difference. Thanks for the help. I should have assumed that the Retard setting was the one I should be using.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.