Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had to pump up my left front tire every time I mow but it usually holds till I get done. Today I get halfway around the house and it's flat. I knew it was dry rotted but I kept putting off buying a new one. Can't put it off any longer. TSC has the regular tread tire for $40 each, don't know what brand because I just called them for availability and price. I think the Firestone Tri Ribs would look real sexy but I wonder how bad they would tear up the lawn. Anyone have any experience with them?
f350ctd

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Tri-Ribs and Mowers are Not a good match. :thumbsup:

I never had a pair but from what I've read they may tear your lawn when wet. :trink:

I don't recall MadMac mentioning Tri-ribs. :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh:

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
If tri-ribs were a good idea on tractors used to mow lawns, then all the manufacturers would be putting them on. Turf tires were developed because they do the least amount of damage to grass. Tri-ribs are standard on the front of 2 wheel drive tractors used for farming applications because the ribs bite into the soil to make the tractor turn when it is pulling ground engaging attachments via the drawbar. As an example, there are some types of harrows that cannot be lifted off the ground so what do you do if you can't get the tractor to turn and you can't back up?

Yes the tri-ribs look cool and they also work well in snow or in the garden but they are tough on turf when sharp turns are made or the ground is soft or the soil conditions are sandy.

Sno-Hogs were designed for snow blowers to get away from chains. They are not as aggressive as tri-ribs but they are certainly more aggressive than the smooth, rounded turf tires.

Everyone's property comes with their own unique conditions. There is no such thing as the perfect tire but some work better than others do in all-around situations. Take a look at the Vredestein V-61 5 rib tires. You have to run tubes with the 16.00's but people who have bought these tires are very happy with them.

·
Administrator
3,282 Posts
Some have installed tri ribs and feel that they are better in winter. I have installed turfs with innertubes and I feel that they are best all around giving somewhat better traction both on grass and in snow.
Mad Mackie in Taxonnecticut

·
Registered
16 Posts
I too had problems with dry rot tires. it would be flat by end of cutting the lawn. I read on another site about using liquid starch for stop leak. I had the wife pic up a bottle and put about a cup or so in the tire and rolled it all around. It's been holding air for two weeks with no sign of leaks. I can't vouch for any long term tire or rim damage but that did'nt matter too me as it's not on my case 444 but an old snapper. Jeff

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After much thought I decided to go with the Carlisle Turf Master. Not as exciting as the tri or 5 ribs but cheaper and I only had to buy one, not a matched set. Did I mention I am frugal?
I didn't buy the TSC tire because they were only 2 ply and there are alot of buried glass and metallic treasures in my yard.
Thanks for the input guys.
f350ctd

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hydriv said:
Oh........ so what happened to "COOL"???? :sidelaugh:
I think the actual term I used was "sexy". Cheap rules, but I also didn't want the neighbors to think I was insecure in my manhood or compensating for some shortcoming by buying the Tri Ribs. :sidelaugh:
f350ctd

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.