Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Ok gentlemen I have a question for you all. So this 646 had the engine replaced at some point. It has an Onan emerald generator engine in it that runs good and has good compression. The problem is I believe it runs at only 1800rpm. When I try to give it full throttle the governor causes the rpms to surge up and down. I understand I can remove half the governor balls to get it to govern at 3600rpm, but would this require any other adjustments ie carb jets/float level? I could also swap in something else like a new Kohler, but I’d love to make this engine work and save some money.

·
'68 - Case 155, '73 - 646a
1,920 Posts
Generator engines have 10 balls in the governor. Tractor engine would have 5

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Wheel Motor vehicle Tire Automotive tire Automotive design

Got her all torn down. Turns out I was right and it still had all 10 governor balls, so I removed 5 of them. Now to put it all back together. I’m still trying to figure out exactly what engine this is. I think it’s an onan 6.5 nhe, but it has no tags/numbers anywhere on it. This is what the flywheel looks like if that helps anyone identify it.

Wheel Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Tread

·
1,920 Posts
Boomer is the Guru, but at 1st I would say that that engine is a B series and NOT a CCK that should be stock. BUT the flywheel looks like a CCK instead of a B series flywheel. The intake manifold with 2 bolts on each end and that is cast ALUMINUM is B series, but that is sitting on an Onan CCK oil pan, to get the crankshaft height right.

An Onan B series is what 44x's have as does the 648 loader that came after the 646 and has factory Power Steering.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I’m thinking it’s out of an onan emerald generator because it’s covered in the green paint, and had 10 governor balls. It’s possible they borrowed parts from the original cck engine that was in the tractor also.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Wood Gas Tints and shades Metal Font

I found this number stamped on it by the points box, but I can’t find any info on line. I think it’s either B415007. Or 3415007. I’d love to know a model and manufacturing date.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Is there any numbers stamped just above the oil filter adapter housing?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
1,920 Posts
Compare the shape of the coolin fins on the CCK block in these photos to yours: CCK Short Block Installation - Thoughts and results

That has GOT to be a B series block and heads. CCK's have the spark plugs set to the rear of the heads not in the center as these appear to be.

Also does the cover lift off the top of the points box or is the points box cast aluminum with a side cover that opens toward the crankshaft side of the engine?

Lift off points cover = B series - CCK's have side cover on points and are a massive PITA to access when installed in the tractor.

·
1,920 Posts
Which pretty much confirms that what you have is a B series Onan Block setting on a CCK oil pan and a CCK Flywheel on it.

This version of the Service manual covers Onan B series AND CCK both and it should help you identify which parts are which:

Then you might need to compare B series parts manuals with CCK parts manuals as well, which are separate manuals:

The points cover has a sheet metal lift off top, easy to access.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Okay everyone, thanks for all the help so far. The tractor is running awesome. Now the next issue, the bucket control won’t stay in float. It works, but I have to hold the lever in place. Is there a detent adjustment or something on the spool?

·
1,920 Posts
Yep, there is a detent ROD threaded into the end of the lift spool. and it has 2 ball(bearings) backed up by springs that press the balls into the detents. Its possible that its missing, that the balls or springs are missing that the things are stuck - jammed. etc. Picture of Loader valve OUT of the tractor. The lift spool is toward the outside of the tractor and you should be able to see and access the detent from the dash side with the cover removed. 2 -1/4 inch bolts hold the springs and balls in and there are 2 screws that hold the aluminum detent casting to the valve.

One owner reported during the winter that water got down into that assembly and FROZE the lift spool in the float position. Relevant manual pages also attached.

Motor vehicle Gas Automotive wheel system Engineering Auto part

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Just a little update: I pulled the detent bolts, springs, and bearings on the loader spool and cleaned everything up. I stretched the springs a tiny bit and reassembled everything. Now my float works perfectly. I do think I should replace the bearings though as they were pretty worn/out of round.

·
1,920 Posts
There is of course a Case part number for them, but you can also get individual ball bearings at the bigbox stores. the Local Menards "lumber yard" here in Illinois has a hardware section that includes US - fractional sized individual ball bearings. Less that $1 each, which shipping is more than that.

Just a little update: I pulled the detent bolts, springs, and bearings on the loader spool and cleaned everything up. I stretched the springs a tiny bit and reassembled everything. Now my float works perfectly. I do think I should replace the bearings though as they were pretty worn/out of round.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts